OEM shock WTF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to go with 2863 springs and trusted OEM shocks all the way around on my ‘04 LX. After half the day at the shop gutting my hydraulic suspension and getting swapped over we’re finally ready to get her down off the rack. Once down I noticed my front end basically doing a severe nose dive. We look underneath and my front shocks are completely compressed! DOA front shocks straight from the dealership.

I was truly at a loss for words minus the few expletives I threw out there. We cranked the torsion bars up but that certainly wasn’t much help.

Called the dealership tI have them order up another set of front shocks. Guy says oh yeah you ordered Land Cruiser shocks but the part numbers for Lexus LX are different, and $150 more. Educated him on both being the same vehicle essentially and to just order the same Tokico shocks from my original order.

So now I’m riding around looking ridiculous while I wait for another set of shocks to show up Friday morning!

053F8DBD-3FE5-45EE-AD58-D50CBC404F09.jpeg

The shocks aren't designed to hold the weight of the truck, it's the springs/torsion bar's job. If you can compress the shocks by hand then how would that hold the truck's weight.

What others said already. Get used LC torsion bars or aftermarket ones. Your original LX TBs are unable to hold the weight

Did you unload the shocks? I thought all OEM shocks required you to compress them and then turn them 90° and they will fully extend

Post on your local club for LC TBs, somebody's got a set floating around. I still have my stockers. I hook bungee cords to them and use them to weigh down tarps covering my wood pile.

Mine are worth whatever someone can give me to weigh down my tarp.

having done this same exact swap a couple months ago (including original toyota LC shocks from the dealership parts desk) I don't recall having to decompress the shocks before they were installed. The LX torsion bars are able to hold the weight of the vehicle using LC shocks but it wasn't "best practice" and you would definitely have to crank the TBs to level it. They are thinner than the LC bars.

Put it up on front jack stands, get a breaker bar with a 30mm socket and start adjusting them. I thiiiiink counterclockwise lowers it and clockwise raises it. It will be easier to do on jack stands, not the ground. Then go sit around on the classified section until someone posts some stock LC TBs for sale.

thats a TB problem like already mentioned. crank the puny lexus tbs for now until you source beefier oem lcs or aftermarket ones.

thats a TB problem like already mentioned. crank the puny lexus tbs for now until you source beefier oem lcs or aftermarket ones.

If it's bottomed out 100% now, there's probably not enough adjustment in the bolt to crank them back to anything helpful. Re-indexing is probably needed, IMO.

If it's bottomed out 100% now, there's probably not enough adjustment in the bolt to crank them back to anything helpful. Re-indexing is probably needed, IMO.

Oh dang, that is a good point. IIRC there was a limit to the adjustment ability, but I don't know it from actual experience. I bet you're right.

Oh dang, that is a good point. IIRC there was a limit to the adjustment ability, but I don't know it from actual experience. I bet you're right.

When I installed a lift with @Kyle Bell I remember we were off an entire tooth on the ARB bar and it wasn't 100% bottomed out. If it's bottomed out it has a loooong ways to go to get back to normal ride height, haha.

ha, sorry missed the fact they turned the tb up already. yeah, lift that rig, take tbs out and re index (basically start over)

First off thanks for all the responses. Secondly sorry for the delay in responding, I was eating a helping of humble pie. After six 80 series and three early 100's you'd think this was my first rodeo. Never had to deal with the slight differences with the LX before. But hopefully my experience "bungling" things will help others.

Lots of time and effort wasted the last two days for sure. We cranked the TB up as much as it'll go at this point but it's still ridiculous looking. Funny thing is it still rides 100% better than the busted AHC. I've reached out to a member here who offered to ship some LC TB's to me so hopefully I'll have a pair in my possession soon. In the meantime I'll have to suffer the shame of dragster LX stance.

I'm going to wait to get the LC bars in there before I re-index. It's so low now that I don't think even that would help much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom