OEM Seatbelt Mounting - '78 USDM Hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 5/78 Cali spec. Mine are mounted to roll bar.

Mine is an 8/78 production date.

C3A3C9AF-E02D-48C3-9594-E08B9D89DED7.jpeg

C80B15F8-3AD4-48FC-9B8E-5DDC9A1E817D.jpeg

I did the same thing with the wake board speakers on the roll bar. How do you like them there? Where did you route the speaker wires?

UI show 2/78 the seat belts moved to the roll bar. Not sure when the folding leg started for sure but 4/78 appears to be when the bumper ended. I have a set of black folding leg with the bumper for the wheel well and a single back one with a folding leg with no bumper. That supports the bumper going away mid model year. I have a hard top I thought was off a 77 but could be off a early 78. Toyota is know for mid year changes. Does make sense since the FJ40 really didn't change that much for a run lasting close to twenty-five years. This were made to be a utility vehicle for countries around the world not the family car expect to change body style every few years so you have to buy a new one. The 1/76 date for the start of three point seat belt may have been because of DOT requirement. Seat belts seem to be a market requirements not an update done across the line for all markets. Rollbar and collapsible steering column a two more examples of market requirement.

This was taken before I disassembled and mine is a Jan 78' that was very stock.. Mine are mounted to the hardtop.

CAA964E6-7A88-4062-A719-8052D376D85C.jpeg

94C3799B-7732-4049-9C03-A69CCAF0F7BF.jpeg

The wake board speakers are a notable improvement over the previous setup which was small home theater speakers mounted to the roll bar just behind the front seats. The current speakers nicely blend in. I ran the speaker wire along the wiring loom under the vehicle and then up through the openings for the rear marker lights.

Mine is April of '78 and they're mounted to the rollbar, but I'm looking at moving them to the hardtop (at least when it's on). I spent two days wheeling a few weeks ago with the hard top on, wearing the seatbelt and my shoulder was killing me because it rides so low.

Piggy back question for my 76 Cruiser. Is it possible to get this hardtop mounted 3 point seatbelts anywhere? Mine has lap belts only.
Not exactly sure what your question is here. @Living in the Past has some really good pics of the two different mounting points for the retractor if that’s what you’re after. If you’re asking where to obtain seatbelts which will attach to your hardtop, there are several good aftermarket sources. Keep in mind for a higher attachment point of the shoulder ring (like the hardtop mounting position), it takes more belt length on the spool to provide enough belt to wrap around more ‘ample’ folks, if you know what I mean. When I still had OEM belts I twice had experiences where a ‘healthy’ passenger was riding shotgun and couldn’t fit the seatbelt around themselves. That was awkward. I’m now running Cruiser Corps belts all around and they have tons of extra belt length. You could definitely run their belts through the hardtop mounting position and still be able to secure your ample passengers.

Not exactly sure what your question is here. @Living in the Past has some really good pics of the two different mounting points for the retractor if that’s what you’re after. If you’re asking where to obtain seatbelts which will attach to your hardtop, there are several good aftermarket sources. Keep in mind for a higher attachment point of the shoulder ring (like the hardtop mounting position), it takes more belt length on the spool to provide enough belt to wrap around more ‘ample’ folks, if you know what I mean. When I still had OEM belts I twice had experiences where a ‘healthy’ passenger was riding shotgun and couldn’t fit the seatbelt around themselves. That was awkward. I’m now running Cruiser Corps belts all around and they have tons of extra belt length. You could definitely run their belts through the hardtop mounting position and still be able to secure your ample passengers.

I haven’t visited Cruiser Corp but SOR says that you will need to drill holes to mount their 3 point. Other sites have harness type straps that go over both shoulders, so not really a 3 point. I believe my 76 has the necessary mounting point for the factory style belt but if they aren’t available they aren’t available. I just got back into FJ40’s after close to a 30 year absence, and I’m finding that I’ve forgotten a lot and people have had to modify and adapt as OEM parts have disappered but it’s all new territory to me now.

Just moved mine from the roll bar (stock location) to the hard top. SO much more comfortable (I'm 6'4" though). Don't know what I'll do in the summer though when the top comes back off...

Does anyone make a bracket to bolt the seat to the roll bar?
Yes. One of the major suppliers includes brackets with their seat belts. A google search would tell you who sells belts.

I’d guess Cruiser Corps, or Cool Cruisers of Texas... never bought from either. I fabricated brackets back in the early ‘90s to mount stock ’78 belts in my ‘74 using the roll bar mounting bolts.

Mine is 10/78 manu date and mounted to roll bar. So, sometime in ‘78 the mount changed, looks like sometime after January of ‘78

Guessing there aren't many options for hardtops without the mount location built-in (1971)?
Going to guess adding a bracket between the lid and hardtop is not advised? Same as bolting a bracket to the pillar where the cabin light is on later 40s (like it's done on old c10 )

Last edited:
Yes. One of the major suppliers includes brackets with their seat belts. A google search would tell you who sells belts.

I’d guess Cruiser Corps, or Cool Cruisers of Texas... never bought from either. I fabricated brackets back in the early ‘90s to mount stock ’78 belts in my ‘74 using the roll bar mounting bolts.
Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom