OEM Seatbelt Mounting - '78 USDM Hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for an answer as to how OEM seatbelts were/are mounted on a USDM 1978 Hardtop. I've seen photos of seatbelts mounted to both the hardtop and the roll bar, but trying to determine how they were mounted from the factory; for all mounting points. This is for both front seats and jump seats.

Photos appreciated

TIA

DSC05608.jpg

Sort of hard to see, but the belt is attached to the side of the seat frame.

IMG_0463.JPG

Thanks...and the retractor looks like it's mounted to the side of the hardtop, correct?

Last edited:
Wait...that's how the '77 was mounted, not the '78. '78s were always mounted to the roll bar both top and bottom (mostly sure :hmm:). My 8/77 mounted to the hard top as shown but I bought a 78 roll bar and swapped it in to get the seat belts mounted to the roll bar.

@78Mustard - Do you not have mounts for your retractor at the bottom of the roll bar?

Yep ‘78 mounts to roll bar. Mine is a ‘10/78. ‘76 and ‘77 mount to side of hardtop

I bought my 78 new in Dec. '77 and the seat belt retractors were bolted to the hard top as shown in post #2. There was no mounting bracket on the rollbar. I added a mount to the side of the tub several years later for use when the top was off.

I bought my 78 new in Dec. '77 and the seat belt retractors were bolted to the hard top as shown in post #2. There was no mounting bracket on the rollbar. I added a mount to the side of the tub several years later for use when the top was off.
Same here, 12/77 manufacturing date, mounted to the hard top

That or somewhere near the base of the rollbar. I didn't weld at the time, so I formed a bracket that bolted between the inside of the tub and base of the rollbar.

Was it common for people to move them from the hardtop to the rollbar when the top was removed? My 7/77 had them mounted to the rollbar but the top was off of it when i bought it too.

Wait...that's how the '77 was mounted, not the '78. '78s were always mounted to the roll bar both top and bottom (mostly sure :hmm:). My 8/77 mounted to the hard top as shown but I bought a 78 roll bar and swapped it in to get the seat belts mounted to the roll bar.

@78Mustard - Do you not have mounts for your retractor at the bottom of the roll bar?

10/77 build and it doesn't look like I have mounts for the retractor. Looks like I will need to mount to the side.
IMG_3276.jpg
IMG_3277.jpg

Yeah, must be a mid cycle, "use all the parts we have until they're gone" thing on the 78s. Since the builds for 78s started 9/77 it looks like the 77 roll bars and jump seats went through at least 12/77 on the 78s.

Was it common for people to move them from the hardtop to the rollbar when the top was removed? My 7/77 had them mounted to the rollbar but the top was off of it when i bought it too.

Here is what I did.

IMG_2686.jpg

The retractor is on an "L" bracket that is attached with one of the roll bar base bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom