OEM Roof Rack holes - Need input on remedy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a few threads regarding patching these holes and I wanted to shed some light on information I received from my local Line-X shop.

1. I plan on Line-Xing a 48x60 patch, which will cover not only the holes but provide some added protection to the roof when I drop the cash on a gutter rack. My vehicle is champagne (whatever lexus calls is), but the door trim and whees are black. How do you guys think a black roof patch will look? Yay or nay.

2. The price for a 48x60 patch is $350.00, and that includes prep work. Since the OEM rack holes are rather small they will use a special tape to cover them. Line-X claims the tape will be un-noticeable, and is standard practice for holes smaller then 1/2" Price sure beats $1000.00 that a proper body shop would charge to fill and paint.

Personally I think it will look rather sharp, and with a proper roof-rack it will be almost un-noticeable.

I know some people will disagree with it and call it a quick fix, but I filled all but the two front holes with fiberglass resin with the glass already mixed in (it's called Kitty Hair in the store), and then lined over with Al's Liner. The front two I left open for running toys to the rack. It's coming up on a year and I haven't had a leak or a problem with it yet.

Just talked to another Line-X shop. It surprising how pricing varies by authorized dealer/painter. I got a quote for 48"x60" with radius corners, prep, rust removal, and prime for $300.00.

I know the DIY options may be cheaper, but the rust removal and warranty is beginning to sound much more appealing for the money.

durabak

Here is a photo of por 15 high strength filler.
IMGP1648.jpg

Black wheel well/door trim

black wheel well/door trim to cover the holes from the cladding.
IMGP1776.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom