OEM roof rack cover and drip guard question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, since I got my cruiser about a month ago I've noticed the front drivers side cover was kindof loose. Looked like one of the 4 little clips had broken off. I also noticed the "drip guard" or "gutter" was kindof loose and sticking up. Anyway, the other day I heard a weird wind noise all of a sudden and then when I was done driving I looked and the cover had disappeared! So I spent the rediculous $65 or $70 on Dallas toyota parts (would've been $90 at the dealership) and today the crappy little piece of walmart quality plastic arrived. I've attached some pictures of the new cover and what the situation is under it. It looks like the "drip guard" was sealed with some kind of caulk but I'm not sure if that's factory or what. Maybe they took it off when they replaced the wind shield?? (How do I tell if my windshield is original by the way) how big of a problem is this? My windshield doesn't have any leaks that I've ever seen or can see evidence of, is this "drip guard" really just an aesthetic cover for the roof-to-side seam? Thanks for your help. Bottom pic looks like where some rat bastard tried to JB weld the piece on after it started to come loose.....
P.S. Still can't believe that that terrible piece of plastic cost so much. I could've 3D printed it for less than that!(that would've been a major PiTA though)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It pisses me off that this thing is so cheaply made, when I could kill an Ebola zombie with the damn rock solid rear spoiler..... Different departments at toyota have different accountants I guess.

The piece sticking up was probably not installed or replaced properly when the windshield was changed. Look on your windshield for the brand of glass in the lower corners. I'd bet it's not a Lexus glass and has been replaced and who ever did it probably did a hack job. I'd be worried about rust on the a-frame and rust near the windshield if it wasn't installed properly. Sorry, not sugar coated, I hope both your issues are just unlucky and not related to the windshield being replaced.

Those parts just don't break on their own. Likely someone had it off and didn't install it properly, damaged in car wash, etc. Parts departments in dealerships are the cash cows, they make a ton of money back there.... not selling brand new cars. $90 part means dealer cost is probably $40, without overhead.

Last edited:
oh s***, I just looked, its safelite...... how much is it for a new windshield install from toyota or lexus? My city has one of the most respected lexus dealerships in the country, and a huge LX population, so i'd kindof like to get it from them. There are a bunch of weird clicky noises from my windshield on cold mornings and maybe this crappy windshield is to blame. Or could I have them just re-install this one? thanks

It might be fine and just need some new parts. Call the Lexus dealer and see who they use for glass. See if you can meet that person and let them give you an opinion.

oh ****, I just looked, its safelite...... how much is it for a new windshield install from toyota or lexus? My city has one of the most respected lexus dealerships in the country, and a huge LX population, so i'd kindof like to get it from them. There are a bunch of weird clicky noises from my windshield on cold mornings and maybe this crappy windshield is to blame. Or could I have them just re-install this one? thanks
I just had mine done by the guy that does windshields for Toyota, Lexus, MB, and BMW dealerships in Boise. Replacement windshield was Pilkington...it replaced a PPG windshield replaced by the original owner at Lexus in Bend, OR.

His comment on the sealing molding was a bit of bending and test fitting, and repeating as necessary, was the secret...along with a bunch of patience. Before replacing it, he removed some mounting tape and silicone done with the PPG windshield on both the body and molding. Cleaned remaining residues with lacquer thinner. Did his manipulation thing and test fitted back and forth, and mounted each side with 3M tape. Took about 5-10 minutes of dicking around per side before he was finished...fit is perfect.

hth

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom