OEM rear springs: how much weight for 1" lower? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I assume my rear springs are OEM. Don't appear tired, reasonable height and stance. 76K.
But when I put the trailer on, the rear drops down by about 1.5". It's very noticeable. The utility trailer is a bit front heavy admittedly but I'm surprised how much the truck is going down.
Anybody has any idea how much weight it takes to bring the truck rear down by 1.5"? (Not over 500 lbs I hope as that's the rating on my receiver.) (and no, no truck scale readily available).
What's the spring rate on these OEM guys you think?
TIA
E

Stack ammo boxes on the tail gate......:idea:

I know you have some

When I used to load my 2 dogs and their crates my rear would sag around 1". I guess thats around 275lbs or so. Or you could just get a yard stick and lean it up against the tailgate then sit on the tailgate and see the change in height. Then you know how much drop you get for your weight. Hope this helps.

If you really want to find out get some concrete blocks and plywood scrap and setup a bathroom scale at the height of your receiver, set the tong of the trailer on it, may want to have plywood above and below the scale to spread the load evenly and get an accurate reading, then you will know inches of sag per pound at the receiver. Will be different for weight further foreword

Here the OEM coils are said to be either 150, 200, or 300 depending on how you look at it and how you measure?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45074&highlight=spring+rate

In this thread the OME springs are said to be 220-250 pounds per inch. Don’t know if that is for the pair or each, thinking maybe each so double for the pair?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49010&highlight=spring+rate

RavenTai said:
If you really want to find out get some concrete blocks and plywood scrap and setup a bathroom scale at the height of your receiver, set the tong of the trailer on it, may want to have plywood above and below the scale to spread the load evenly and get an accurate reading, then you will know inches of sag per pound at the receiver. Will be different for weight further foreword

Here the OEM coils are said to be either 150, 200, or 300 depending on how you look at it and how you measure?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45074&highlight=spring+rate

In this thread the OME springs are said to be 220-250 pounds per inch. Don’t know if that is for the pair or each, thinking maybe each so double for the pair?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49010&highlight=spring+rate

hmmm.... RT, does your bathroom scale go up to 500 lbs? why?

guys, you are smart.
I'm gonna do some experiments with the girls.
Have them sit on the hatch, 1, then 2 etc and figure out the deflection!

And Dan, yes, I could use some of my stash, but that is hard work. Them boxes are big, not like the little green cans you like... (see a much earlier thread with a photo or 2)

so RT, if we are talking about 200 lbs/in on each, my tongue should be about 500 lbs then. I would not be surprised, I can barely lift the thing a bit.
thanks for the numbers

I am not exactly sure what info to extract from the other threads, looks like the OME's are 200+ each? and the OEM's are 150 - 200 each (I think) that would put your tong weight at 300-400 pounds, but weight on the hitch is on a leaver arm to the rear tire , placing weight here adds not only that weight to the rear springs but also takes some of the weight of the truck from off of the front axle and places it on the rear axle, so not all the height drop is directly from the trailer, your tong weight may actually be 200-300 pounds.

Kind of why I think direct measurement would be best, I think bathroom scales go to 300? The highest I have ever seen is 215, a lesser but still overweight 205 at the moment. (special training regiment using beer and fast food) the kids would work very well also, just try to get them placed about as far aft as the hitch is (the pivot point, center of the ball)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom