OEM Rear Spare Tire Carrier; weight capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I want to use my OEM Spare Tire Carrier on my '78 with a stock wheel and 33X10.5X15 tire on it, will this overload the stock carrier as I know the original tires were narrower and like 28"? 78X15 i believe I am using a very heavy duty swing out rack on carrier mounted to my bumper now. But would like the stock look back.

I have the a carrier from a 64 ... And used to have one from my original 74 ... Both are the square plate style... Not the tube... But I run a 34"tsl on heavy split rims with a Jerry can mounted as well... Never had an issue

Thanks Johnny, I guess none or very few of us run the original size tires................

The tube version rack is plenty strong as well. I have a 7.50r 16 on the back and its no problem. While your at it pop in some new bushings as the are the first part to go and if the go the holes on the lower arm will wear oval.

Pete

I have a 35" bogger on the yellow one in the pic on the left-'77-it gets rubbed against trees and used as a bumper-it's fine.

Thanks, i am planning on new bushings all around too. Thanks guys

Hello: How are the bushings maintenance/replaced (or rather, extracted)?

i.e. I have the tube style carrier. How do I extract the large pin from both the top of the carrier and the bottom of it, that I can replace the bushings as well as cure the heavy, built-up rust within the housing of each pin?

Thanks for your advice,
Skydog

I would like some input on that too Skydog, maybe one of our experts will chime in.................

They are welded at the bottom. You have to grind off the weld and pound th out. I went to the trouble of adding a zerk fitting as well so the can be greased.

Pete

had a 33x10.5 on my OEM carrier for along time, no issues at all

Does any one have a single 3 inch spacer they would like to sell me so I can fit my cooper stt pros on the stock carrier?

I know this is a old thread that was bumped. One thing I didn't see mentioned was the tub. Would be more worried about stress cracks in the tub than damage to a tire carrier that is a bolt on part. Would also inspect the lower hinge that bolts to the rust prone rear sill. If everything is in good shape should be fine. In other markets these came with 16" split rims which weight quite a bit more than our 15" rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom