OEM Radio for 1972 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm restoring a 1972 FJ40 (production date 12/71) and I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I'm guessing the original radio was AM only? I can't seem to locate an OEM radio - all i've been able to find is '73 and after. Will that radio fit? What are my options for an OEM look that will fit without mods to existing opening - I'd like to have AM and FM? Where were original speakers?

Thanks!

check here

OpenX

IIRC they only had one speaker, but check above.

Thanks for the link - that site lists the part number for the 1972 the same as a 1974 (part number 86120-35024). Does anyone know if this is correct, and if it is, I guess that means I can get a 73 - 78ish and it will work fine?

They should work.

I think the speaker mounts to the glove box between the firewall and the glove box. If you look in the glove box on the PS you should see 3 holes. These are where the studs for the speaker mount come through.

I have one in new shape if you are interested.

Try cruiserparts. net for the radio.

I didn't think '72s came with radios from the factory but could be installed as a dealer option. It required the dealer to relocate knobs and cut a hole in the dash for the radio. Antenna location was never consistent from dealer to dealer. Does anyone know if the dealer had some kind of template when doing the install? Hopefully someone with more definitive knowledge about that era of 40 will chime in.

My 72 doesn't have a hole for a radio, the bottom dash pad runs all the way across.
My 74 had a AM only and a speaker in the glove box behind a perforated plate.

Kevin

My 72 dash
72 dash.JPG

another 12/71 FJ40 with no radio or place for one here..... I have never seen a 71, 72 with a place for radio and I have been around these rigs for over 20 years

looking at that link, with putting in info as a 12/71 FJ40 it lists the radio availible for 9/72-8/76.
diag_AQqEgb.png

Mine is a '71 also but my grandfather had the dealer install the factory "package" radio and speaker. The radio was not installed in a standard DIN hole in the dash. It was a bracket which was bolted to the underside of the dash, left of the steering column. The speaker mounted to the passenger side firewall, under the dash. I just pulled mine to give the :princess: a bit more leg room. I know that Welcome to CruiserParts.net has a factory radio for a '71. I just traded mine for some parts.
100_0497.jpg

If it's not a '72, someone did a good job of modifying the pretty rusty drivers side door plate and passengers side fender well plate. Numbers match and they seemed to match the crappy decor of the rest of the vehicle (they look original). Also have a title for it....Has the 1F with 3 spd which means that it was pre '73 right? So if this is in fact a ploy to make a newer FJ look older, they went to great effort?

Mysterious indeed.

Last edited:
somebody did a really clean job at cutting out the dash...thats all...the lower dash pad bumper looks like it was cut out also....later lower dash bumpers come in 3 pieces for the factory radio opening. yours looks like its 2 with the long side cut out for the radio.

I think you are correct after looking at it further, they just did a good job. Now I don't know whether i should order the AM/FM from cruiser parts or not - maybe they cut it for an aftermarket deck? Anyone know the opening for the OEM Am/Fm?

If there's pad under the radio hole then it's been cut. Looks like it's off center too.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom