OEM radiator, how to tell?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I'm about to replace/freshen up my cooling system. Is there any markings or ways to tell if I have an OEM radiator??

If it's not I'll just buy a new one but if it's the Toyota radiator I'll take it to a radiator shop and see if they will recore it.
I have a 1982 BJ42.

Thanks!

20200502_174033.jpg

I've just had a look and I dont believe so. I can only see the 2 big outlets that the radiator hoses attach to.

It looks OEM, but, for gasoline motors. They could be the same for BJ? The petcock could have been substituted?

Last edited:
Yeah I definately dont see any petcock. I'll have a good look when I pull it out for any Toyota stamps on it. Thanks for your help!

Hi, I’ve never had a redone radiator last more than a year ,no matter who made it. Mike

Hi, I’ve never had a redone radiator last more than a year ,no matter who made it. Mike

You've got to find a better shop then. If the tanks are in good shape a good shop will be able to disassemble and then reassemble with a good 3 or 4 core, depending on your needs, and you should be good as new and run for years.

Hey guys I'm about to replace/freshen up my cooling system. Is there any markings or ways to tell if I have an OEM radiator??

If it's not I'll just buy a new one but if it's the Toyota radiator I'll take it to a radiator shop and see if they will recore it.
I have a 1982 BJ42.

Thanks!

View attachment 2292457

you have a Aftermarket South East Asia thin yellow brass type replacement

popular in the 1990's - 2000's

see how your cooling fins are corroding and flaking between the cores

factory TOYOTA Japan Original Radiator's are made out of stronger , thicker , more

corrosion resistant JAPAN red Brass

More Alloys , More thick = long Service life .............

Hijack, here, sorry.

What does the core number refer to, technically?

And, I just installed a new aftermarket radiator in my pickup. The temp needle on the dash tells me that I'm running much cooler than before (1/2-way). Does this mean that I will need to tape cardboard in the front, in the winter, just to have a decent defroster and heater, or should I have painted it like the OEM one it replaced?

And, I just installed a new aftermarket radiator in my pickup. The temp needle on the dash tells me that I'm running much cooler than before (1/2-way).
Use OEM thermostat and you are good, there is 2 different versions of it, 82°C and 88°C. 88° if colder climate. Block the radiator in winter time if needed.

Awesome thanks for your help everyone. I'll still have a good look when I take it out for any toyota stamps but I don't like my chances.
I'll try and find a high quality aftermarket unit, it's ridiculous how hard that is these days with this massive flood of Chinese s***.

Hijack, here, sorry.

What does the core number refer to, technically?

And, I just installed a new aftermarket radiator in my pickup. The temp needle on the dash tells me that I'm running much cooler than before (1/2-way). Does this mean that I will need to tape cardboard in the front, in the winter, just to have a decent defroster and heater, or should I have painted it like the OEM one it replaced?

Dizzy

tell us more about your Pick-up ?

is it a land cruiser p/u ?

or

a USA spec. w/ a 22R / 22RE / or 3VZ-FE ?

or later .........

i can help u here if need be

the cores are the rows of cooling fins front to back

- a 3 core is a standard RAD............

- a 4 CORE is a Heavy Duty type , Towing , or Cold Climate too ............

- there is also Equator versions too where its HOT like Vietnam ............

- did u buy a CSF brand Unit ?

ANY Radiator Job i do personally or professionally gets a New OEM TOYOTA genuine parts T-stat as well .......... :)

No questions asked !

Not Toyota, but Nissan. The OEM Nissan 720 radiator was soldered to the mounting brackets at the factory, that fatigued, the clutched nylon fan punctured a hole in radiator. Now I can't get the same amount of heat to the heater core because the engine is apparently running much cooler. The new unit is nylon reservoir, and bolted mounting brackets.

The Cruiser runs a CSF. I'm happy with it because the (serviced locally) OEM radiator that it came with appears to have leaks, so it has never been used.

Not Toyota, but Nissan. The OEM Nissan 720 radiator was soldered to the mounting brackets at the factory, that fatigued, the clutched nylon fan punctured a hole in radiator. Now I can't get the same amount of heat to the heater core because the engine is apparently running much cooler. The new unit is nylon reservoir, and bolted mounting brackets.

The Cruiser runs a CSF. I'm happy with it because the (serviced locally) OEM radiator that it came with appears to have leaks, so it has never been used.

I have had GOOD luck with ALL my CSF rad.s over the years .............

NISSAN's are not my stong suite

but a new OEM Datsun genuine parts T-Stat Will NOT hurt and can help too

maybe flush the cooling system also

TEMP sender guage in dash if a low cost part like on a 2F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom