OEM power steering delete/ replace/ upgrade research (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked and didn't see much info on this and assume its fairly uncommon if ever done before on the 80. Not sure if worth the expense or even something that would even be smart to do? Thought I would entertain the thought and see if anyone has had experience with it on their 80 or even a custom job or even anyone with a newer OEM setup they currently have. A lot of the newer GM vehicles seem to be going this route with the newer LT1 for years now.

Reasons to consider:
- LT1 swaps will start to be more common. They do not offer factory hydraulic power steering. Plenty of options to add but not cheap and maybe more cost effective to source used parts off OEM options and go this route with the steering. Maybe do in advance to ease the LT swap later.
- Oil changes simply suck with the crappy placed OEM reservoir tank. Maybe it's just me but I think its a PITA getting in there from the top.
- I have been running 315's for 20 years. The OEM is OK but becoming less than desired for me and needs some help. 37's in the works so I need to address this soon. Mine was neglected and leaking.
- Additional HP for the 1FZ brick?
- Open up space for turbo, heat issues OBA York? Possible relocate?
- pulling the steering box for 105 upgrade. why not address it all at the same time with it opened up?
- any additional off-road value with 37's + and ability to turn up sensitivity?
-???

Fitment:
- lots of unknowns here but this company just got some awards at SEMA 202 and it looks promising. I'm pretty sure the 80 can use the sensor of the transfer case for the adaptive steering at speed. Ability to adjust or override responsiveness on the trail. Additional sensor options they provide if needed.
- fitment in the engine compartment looks really tight but doable.
- Need to look at shaft size and coupler options but the link provided seems to offer a few.
-???
flaming river
optional adaptor drawing attention at SEMA

Unknowns:
- Need to call this manufacture to see if it would support 37's and the offroad conditions.
- possible failure issues and
- cost value- I looked at a few vendors here and don't recall the steering pump cost but I likely need to go this route and will compare. I think this should run around $1000. Seems a bit steep.
-???

FR40200_KIT_EPAS200_MICROSTEER_001.jpg

fr40200_specs.jpg

Help me out here, is your desire an electric stepper motor in replacement of the PS pump and steering gear?

I like the idea of an electric power steering system to replace the hydraulic.
It's an expensive mod though, maybe a future alternative if the ps fails

Don't know anything about it, but it's an interesting topic. free up a bit of hp too.

Yes and no rusty. Replace the old worn pump and hoses with an electric system, yes. No on the steering gear I assume. I see no reason to do anything with it other than in my case for assurance on 37’s and upgrade/ rebuild it with the 105 setup.
Thanks for the link firsttoy, I’m not partial to the system I posted, it just won awards at SEMA and seemed to be a good fit. Tight but good. I also like the manual adjustability they offer.
I’m more thinking the use and benefit to ever fit an LT motor but thinking there are other advantages and something useable with the 1FE until its pulled. A lot of other things going on here before this is even considered but really would like to know if anyone here has had exposure to the electronic steering assist systems and learn from it. Without digging into the math yet and comparing costs, I assume this wouldn’t be as expensive as you may think if completely replacing an old never touched factory hydraulic pump, hoses, cooling and so on the correct way if one was to dig into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom