OEM parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not really a question here, just a little general info I thought I would share. When I first got my 60 I throw in some aftermarket cap and rotor along with bosch plugs hoping it would help with what later was determined to be a cracked manifold. Well after doing a top end rebuild and replacing the manifolds and rebuilding the carb, the truck ran beautifully. I finally got around to doing a full tune-up and decided to replace the aftermarket stuff with OEM parts. HOLY CRAP what a difference. First off ND plugs are the way to go (most of you all know that), but the OEM cap and rotor are much better than the stuff made in Mexico at your local autoparts store. Night and day difference in idle and at speed. The engine just seems to run better.

Anyway, I thought I would pass on my experience for those thinking of cheaping out on tune-up parts.

Oh yeah, I guess I do have a question. What would it mean if I had grayish-white deposits on my plugs? Lean condition or too hot a plug?

I am pretty sure that those deposits are from either coolant leaking into the combustion chamber or fuel additives. Do they do that antifreeze gasoline treatment to the gas for the Chitown winters?

I'm pretty sure there isnt any antifreeze in there, but year round all our fuels have about 10% ethanol in them. I'm sure I don't I dont have a headgasket issue as I have no white smoke, proper looking oil and antifreeze, and I'm not losing any coolant. I don't use many additives, although lately I've been trying about 1oz. of acetone in the gas per 10 gallons to see if I get any mileage improvements. I got the info from this site as far as the acetone.

http://www.smartgas.net

I figured it would probably work better in a fuel injected computer controlled vehicle, but since I saw no negatives I thought I'd give it a try. Although I just started adding it about a week ago and the plugs I took out were about 4-5 month old ND's.

I am the second owner of my LC and when I first changed the plugs they had a deposit as you describe. THe deposit was even off to one sidelike it had collected from a certain direction. I think this can happen quickly as hte plugs were replaced prior to a trip from portland to spokane and on to the Bitterroot Valley. Not sure i have anyother info on were it could have come from. Maybe check your plugs weekly to see how fast or if it's still accumulating.

I had have the same deposits on my plugs. From what I researched it is caused by oil in the cylinders from worn rings or leaking valve seals. I did a compression test and all the cylinders were 150 dry. I`m almost positive it is not coolant because I`m not losing any, so my guess is worn valve seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom