OEM parts gurus - dimensions/pics of stock rear muffler 1978 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a new late model OEM muffler last year. The hanger at the right frame rail came as part of the new muffler.

That’s right it does. But if you want to adapt it to an earlier truck you need the rubber cushion and small L-bracket that bolts to the chassis.

Timely thread bump! I finally completed and installed the exhaust system. As part of this, I finally managed to find a correct original muffler heat shield, and had it media blasted and zinc plated. It’s attached with correct new OE heat shield bolts.

For those playing at home, the same shield was also used on the centre muffler of some 75-Series Cruisers.

D9A338D1-5F74-462D-AB72-4C88AAEABD5B.jpeg

3E650D87-BCB9-4862-B041-9DBB8C271A59.jpeg

F49C18A1-DA4B-42AD-9056-3D01F6354252.jpeg

Being the Toyota Never imported the 70 series to the US will are at a disadvantage getting part from the 70 series. If you know the model 75 series would help a lot with a search. Having a 79 FJ40 was able to locate the brackets for the last hanger after the muffler. The non US first header pipe to run over the frame verse under was a lot harder. But a must to run a PTO winch.

12/71-1/75 the muffler had a similar heat shield. It was probably thirty years ago I bought one for my 68 FJ40. Being in the Southwest part of the US it's still in good shape today.
IMG_20210524_134353651.jpg

Part No 17551-61010

FJ75 ran the same shield albeit on the centre muffler.

where did you find the muffler? i tried a few sites for the OEM but cant seem to find... thanks!
I would also love to hear if anyone has had luck sourcing an OEM muffler ('75 or later) lately, as I've scoured the internet to no avail. Thought I had found one at Toyota Parts Overstock, but they emailed to say they couldn't fulfill the order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom