OEM Pad Service Life - Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey mudders! Curious what you all have gotten for service life out of your pads.

12k miles ago I replaced all 4 calipers, brake lines all around, rotors and pads. Everything was brand new OEM.

My truck is used a lot off road. Lots of mountain climbs. Camping with a family and tons of gear (7,500lbs + when loaded) Lifted on 285/75/17s...oh and can't forget when it is on the pavement, lots of Los Angeles traffic. Lol.

My pads all the way around are at the wear indicators. All have even wear as well.

Has this been the norm for any of you with similar uses / setups?

My 91 went through front pads about every 12,000 miles. It seems like I am getting about 14,000 miles on the pads on my current 97 but I also have just been using Napa premium pads with slotted rotors.

My 91 went through front pads about every 12,000 miles. It seems like I am getting about 14,000 miles on the pads on my current 97 but I also have just been using Napa premium pads with slotted rotors.
Well that's more encouraging to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some other underlying issue.

Well that's more encouraging to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some other underlying issue.

Yeah, I have a feeling pad life can vary a lot with these rigs based on type of driving, weight carried, parts used, and overall health of the braking system.

If your brakes work good and nothing is obviously wrong with the braking system than I wouldn't worry to much about short pad life. Especially if your like me and your constantly driving up and down mtn's.

I've only replaced my rear pads once, front pads never, in 5 years of ownership and around 80,000km, and the rears weren't even dead, I just wanted to put OEM'S back in. That said, I'm running a manual and I always engine brake, so the pads don't see that much use.

Yeah, I have a feeling pad life can vary a lot with these rigs based on type of driving, weight carried, parts used, and overall health of the braking system.

If your brakes work good and nothing is obviously wrong with the braking system than I wouldn't worry to much about short pad life. Especially if your like me and your constantly driving up and down mtn's.
That makes sense. This is my first 80 and have put around 30k on it. But the last 15k or so has been heavy adventure. I swapped out all the brake stuff 12k miles ago so I just didn't have any solid reference point for wear.

Now I'm about 400 miles from home and picking up some new pads from the local dealer. Gonna do a parking lot swap. Lol. I'm sure if be fine to get home, I just can't stand any non factory noises while I drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom