OEM or Aftermarket PS Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'm in need of a powersteering pump for my '83 FJ60. I'm really not trying to spend $400 on an OEM pump, can I get away with an after market pump? THanks

Sure you can get away with it.... question to ask youself is how long it will last.

YOu can spend $400 now and have it last anouther 20 years, or you can spend $200 now and do the job again in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years. Or the aftermarket could last 10 years.

It's a question of what's most important right now, saving money, or doing the job once and knowing it's done right. :)

Fred

saving money is most important....any recommendations on aftermarket parts? Located in CO

read my post(s) about MY p/s debacle.
go oem.
my local napa was finally able to find me a OEM rebuilt.
without a doubt. DONT BY AFTERMARKET!!
hammer

i'm probably going to go saginaw...i can't afford oem either.

Spymaster0077 said:
Hello all,

I'm in need of a powersteering pump for my '83 FJ60. I'm really not trying to spend $400 on an OEM pump, can I get away with an after market pump? THanks

Cruiserparts.net has new ones for $300 and used for $150. I'd put in a used one before I would put in an aftermarket one.

http://www.cruiserparts.net/parts/fj60.htm

well, I just put a used one in a couple weeks ago I got for $50 a couple years ago. so far so good. however, if I had known what a PITA it was to change out before buying the pump, I would have called cruiser Dan and got new oem. I would guess it's around $300 from him, should be better than cruiserparts on price, and free shipping.

PabloCruise said:
Cruiser Dan - parts counter at American Toyota, ABQ, NM

Are you TLCA member? If so, he will hook you up.

don't think you need to be a tlca member to get his discounts do you?
pretty sure all mud members get it.
just be sure to mention your from mud if you call.

you can pm him to get a price

unless you have an in with a dealership guaranteed to be best price, probably best service too (my toyota parts sucks-never stock anything and takes more time getting there than it should) :beer:

how do you become a TLCA member? who is Cruiser Dan....Sorry I'm not in the know....I just bought a 83 FJ60 and the P/S pump is leaking and I'm having to refil it every week.

Spymaster0077 said:
how do you become a TLCA member? who is Cruiser Dan....Sorry I'm not in the know....I just bought a 83 FJ60 and the P/S pump is leaking and I'm having to refil it every week.

No worries mate!

www.tlca.org

If you sign up you get a sweet little magazine every other month.

You also might be interested in the Rising Sun club in Denver:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/

There are some cool guys there, w/ lots of tech experience. They are a chapter of the TLCA

Plus, being TLCA will get you some sweet discounts from guys like Cruiser Dan.

Dan is an employee of American Toyota. He works at the parts counter there, selling Toyota parts. He has the best prices.

800-432-6668 x 8

Good luck!

:cheers:

Spymaster0077 said:

If you're really on a budget and your pump is just leaking, often they can be resealed for pennies in parts compared to buying a whole new one...do a search on this forum for P/S pump reseal(or some equivalent phrase), Cruiser Dan, and check TLCA.org. But you'll find almost universal agreement here that if you can go OEM, go OEM.

Spymaster0077 said:

there's a whole tlca section on here, has membership info at the top if you go into one of the forums.

cruiser-dan is a parts manager at american toyota who mostly hangs out on the 80's forum when hes not in chat ;p can either pm him to get prices ans such or call. either check out the banner for american toyota or look in vendors section for contact info. id ask him about needing to be tlca member though, cause i think all mud members get the same discount

Go OEM from CDan $309 no tax/free shipping
Do it once do it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom