OEM Mechanical Winch Rollers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kon

Threads
well i started rebuilding my winch today, pretty exciting!!

anyway got the bastard apart with some serious wrenching, oxy heating, cut up knuckles and a whole lot of swearing!

well, im now trying to pull apart the rollers i got the 2 vertical rollers off but i cant get the horizontal rollers off. iv undone the nuts but it seems as if the rollers are connected to the bolts. FSM got nothing bout rollers, the gap between rollers and frame is roughly 1mm, so not much chance gettin a tool in there...

winch rebuild close1.jpg

anyone done this before? or anyone have any ideas? im stumped

cheers

Kon

Been there done that. I used a methyl-salicylate and penetrating oil combination and soaked for a few days. Fairlead roller is rusted to bolt.

Last edited:
Almost forgot, use modeling clay to make a little bowl to hold it in. An old Navy trick.

cool thanks heaps!!! Ill be given that a go over the weekend!

"methyl-salicylate and penetrating oil combination" was the combo about 50/50? and where do you get methyl-salicylate and penetrating oil? automotive store? hardware?

modelling clay? now thats clever!!

I had to drive one of mine out with a drift, and fix the threads later. I also rounded one of those too thin bolt heads so I ground it flat and welded on the head of another bolt. It was a little work intensive but came out like original.

The horizontals are long bolts with bushings in the mount while the verticals are more normal bolts with full length sleeves through the rollers. Kinda' weird design.

yeh i was pretty much holding onto an angle grinder while i posted!! i really hate it when ya doin a project, everything is running smoothly, then you get hooked up on one stoopid :censor: thing and it holds you up for the better half of an afternoon...

thats usually when i call it quits for the day and call on a good friend, beer! and then come whinge on iH8mud :D

Kon said:
"methyl-salicylate and penetrating oil combination" was the combo about 50/50? and where do you get methyl-salicylate

I "borrowed" some from the Navy... It's also known as oil of wintergreen. It EATS rust. I understand you can get it a a good pharmacy.

If you smell a penetrating oil that has a minty smell, it Probably has some in it, but that is just a guess.

Mike

I've been able to get two sets of the long rollers apart by...

Soaking, soaking & beating with a pickle fork... Soak some more, beat the hell out of it... and finally. I was able to get the rollers separated from the main bracket. Between the two winches I dissassembled, I have a good set I'll be using to restore everything.

SDC

One of my horizontal rollers has the hole at one end worn badly out of round making the assembled, tightly bolted roller hard to turn. So I put it on top hoping it'll get the least pressure during any use.

Kinda' considering replacing the whole OEM roller affair with one from Warn because it's narrower with bigger better supported rollers and less space between for jamming. Sacrificing originality for practicality is sometimes a difficult consideration.

Get it apart yet Kon?

nope

the bastard wont budge, im beginning to agree with honk.. i got an extra set of warn rollers, i might fab up a mount for it.. im gonna let it soak for a couple of nights, then try again.

ever use mousemilk? Works on frozen exhaust stuff. As well you can hit a torch on it for awhile. If yur gonna faulk it anyhow..... I would try a torch to heat and beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom