OEM lockers with aftermarket switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NCFJ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have a set of OEM lockers in my wife's 80 and I would like to use after market switches to activate them. Making a complete harness is not a problem. I tried to find a thread about it with no luck. Anyone know the thread(s) or have done this. Basically looking for which wires on the harness activate and are ground. Thanks in advance :)

I have a set of OEM lockers in my wife's 80 and I would like to use after market switches to activate them. Making a complete harness is not a problem. I tried to find a thread about it with no luck. Anyone know the thread(s) or have done this. Basically looking for which wires on the harness activate and are ground. Thanks in advance :)
No real help here but I'm also interested. The factory system includes the locker ecu in the passenger (right) kick panel. Not sure what its role entails though

I think the ECU sends signal to lockers to lock only after it confirms you are in 4L and the center diff lock is actuated and you are less than 5mph. The 7 pin mod by passes the need to be in 4L and center diff lock locked condition. I think you can activate with dash switch but you will need a relay or two.
@Tools R Us is a great resource on this.

I am looking to essentially "hot wire" the locker actuators. Power to new relay, switch on dash for each locker. No ECU to mess with. Trying to see if anyone has done this and if so do they recall what wires on the actuator are power and ground.

I am looking to essentially "hot wire" the locker actuators. Power to new relay, switch on dash for each locker. No ECU to mess with. Trying to see if anyone has done this and if so do they recall what wires on the actuator are power and ground.

The "ecu" is mainly a set of relays, needed to stop the motor in the correct locations.

Well you might try this: 4-RUNNER - HOME

You need to wire the switch such that the power disconnects once the limit switch actuates. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as power and ground.

If you want to DIY, this is the circuit you'll need for each axle.

Diff Lock Control.png

I did similar to above when I fitted elockers in my 105 series.

Since then I've read a few times about guys wiring them without relays, just switches powering actuators directly.
I believe the actuators have in built limit switches (CDL certainly does)

May be worth doing a search

Since then I've read a few times about guys wiring them without relays, just switches powering actuators directly.
I believe the actuators have in built limit switches (CDL certainly does)
These setups require the motor current to be run through the limit switches, which they weren't designed for.

Apparently you can drive the actuator with a 9v battery so in reality it's probably not an issue. Not really sure why Toyota spec'd a 30A fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom