OEM Jack for Daily Service? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I've used my OEM jack once about 8 years ago to make sure it worked. Sunday, I need to yank all 4x wheels for brake caliper rebuild and I don't have a floor jack any longer (it died and I buried it). :dead:

Does anyone use the OEM jack for daily service? I have the @LandCruiserPhil Jack Adapter (Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP) so I'm not worried about it rolling off the axle. :cool:

I still plan to jack up each corner, 1 at a time using a jack stand, seems like it should work just fine with minimal fuss. :meh:

What's your experience?

@thegadgetguy That's the feedback I was looking for, thank you. Even better endorsement given your Mud name. :p

Use it all the time. Slow but reliable, kind of like the 80.

This reminds me of my teenage years before I had any spare cash at all. I would use the cheap scissor jack and some borrowed jacks stands or lumber or something. Buy a new jack for pete's sake! Not saying the bottle jack isn't good, but I don't have the patience. The impact trick does sound pretty intriguing though 🤔

Just spent a small fortune on the gear box, tie rod kit, brake caliper overhaul and new pads, power bleeder, etc. Spending money is the least of my interests right now. ;)

I use the factory bottle jack whenever I'm away from my floor jack. I will also Chuck up the handle in a drill and use that to go up/down much faster than hand cranking it.

I use the factory bottle jack whenever I'm away from my floor jack. I will also Chuck up the handle in a drill and use that to go up/down much faster than hand cranking it.
I bet a 1/2" drill will make that thing sing. I'm gonna try that, good idea.

Just spent a small fortune on the gear box, tie rod kit, brake caliper overhaul and new pads, power bleeder, etc. Spending money is the least of my interests right now. ;)
You can get a decent floor jack under $200 and it will probably give you a lifetime of service. I'm "frugal" and IMHO, it is an easy sell. A much more useful tool than a power bleeder. As always, JMHO.

Have rediscovered toyota jacks usefulness, lifted 100's engine to change motor mounts. It's very multipurpose.
Lost the 80's in mud hole long-ago "should get another one" these jacks have proven reliability.
20200602_154522.jpg

Have rediscovered toyota jacks usefulness, lifted 100's engine to change motor mounts. It's very multipurpose.
Lost the 80's in mud hole long-ago "should get another one" these jacks have proven reliability.
View attachment 2343858
never mind the jack what the hell happened to that oil pan.

You can get a decent floor jack under $200 and it will probably give you a lifetime of service. I'm "frugal" and IMHO, it is an easy sell. A much more useful tool than a power bleeder. As always, JMHO.
Yeah, agreed, preaching to the choir here. BTW, Powerbleeder wasn't a competitor for the funding. My budget is like saran wrap at this point. Just moved in to New house and spent upwards of $6K to get that wrapped up a few weeks back. Sticking with the OEM jack with zero available funds for the foreseeable future. ;)

never mind the jack what the hell happened to that oil pan.
Oil pan heater bondo'd to the bottom of the pan. You can see the wiring on the far side. I thought the same until I realized he's in the GWN.

So I used the OEM jack and managed to get the truck up on stands and back down with very little drama thanks to @LandCruiserPhil's adapter. It was plain scary looking without that adapter! That janky screw together handle was designed by Satan himself and laying on a creeper trying to turn the handle is going to make my physical therapist and chiropractor happy but I didn't have a 1/2" drill chuck to try the power route. May have to get one though, so much soreness...

My jack did go through quite a few "clicking" sessions on the way up. Not sure if that's normal but the truck didn't fall on my so I assume it's OK.

So I used the OEM jack and managed to get the truck up on stands and back down with very little drama thanks to @LandCruiserPhil's adapter. It was plain scary looking without that adapter! That janky screw together handle was designed by Satan himself and laying on a creeper trying to turn the handle is going to make my physical therapist and chiropractor happy but I didn't have a 1/2" drill chuck to try the power route. May have to get one though, so much soreness...

My jack did go through quite a few "clicking" sessions on the way up. Not sure if that's normal but the truck didn't fall on my so I assume it's OK.
The jack would probably appreciate a little oil.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom