OEM Horn question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a mod or a replacement fix for that pee-weak OEM horn? That things sux donkey nuts.

I heard the Fiamm horns fit well, but i have no experience with them. I think Camry horns have been used as well and are much louder.

I heard the Fiamm horns fit well, but i have no experience with them. I think Camry horns have been used as well and are much louder.

The Fiamm horns fit quite nicely and were easy to install. Good sound without being insanely loud. Just a good American-sounding horn. :cheers:

F-ing love this!!!

I'm an idiot when it comes to electrics

The Fiamm horns fit quite nicely and were easy to install. Good sound without being insanely loud. Just a good American-sounding horn. :cheers:

Are these essentially plug and play? i.e. can you simply replace the horn units with out worrying about different resistance or fusing them? Can I just buy the biggest ones that will fit and call it a day?

Again, I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

I am an idiot when it comes to mechanical things, but installing a pair of Fiamm horns was 10 minute job for me, including painting the gaudy red plastic a nice flat black.

*Help*
I pulled out the factory horns and bolted 2 of these in their place. I connected them to the factory harness and also ran the supplied wire from the other connector to the rear of the horn as instructed. They worked at first but then nothing. :frown:

I heard the factory relay clicking when the horn was pushed so I replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. The 15a fuse is also intact. :confused:

Please help.

Bad ground? Loose connection?

I installed the Fiamms (sp?) and they are alright. You need to get one "high tone" and one "low tone". They will last about 3.5 years and then they tend to crap out completely. They are not "highway blasters" by any means but they are alot louder than the stock setup. For the fellow who's horn was working and then wasn't working it is almost definitely a bad ground somewhere. You need to make totally sure that the ground is good. HTH. :cheers:

I re did the grounds from the rear of the horn to the frame and still nothing. I think it's a combination of bad ground/poor factory connectors.

What size are the bolts holding on the horn bracket to the frame? I think I need new bolts as mine aren't snugging up good enough. I think they're 12mm but I don't know the rest.

I'm also going to cut off the factory connectors and try normal female connectors and see if that works.

I re did the grounds from the rear of the horn to the frame and still nothing. I think it's a combination of bad ground/poor factory connectors.

What size are the bolts holding on the horn bracket to the frame? I think I need new bolts as mine aren't snugging up good enough. I think they're 12mm but I don't know the rest.

I'm also going to cut off the factory connectors and try normal female connectors and see if that works.
Howdy! Make sure that you did not just run the drounds to the radiator support bracket that the horns bolt on to. It is not a good ground. Run them to the same bolts in the fender that the headlights ground to. Worked much better for me. John

I installed the Fiamms (sp?) and they are alright. You need to get one "high tone" and one "low tone". They will last about 3.5 years and then they tend to **** out completely. They are not "highway blasters" by any means but they are alot louder than the stock setup. For the fellow who's horn was working and then wasn't working it is almost definitely a bad ground somewhere. You need to make totally sure that the ground is good. HTH. :cheers:

So if not Fiamms, then what would be a better choice? I was going to get Fiamms, but if there's something easier and still simple to hook up, then that'd be cool... Fiamms seem to be a very popular choice.

So if not Fiamms, then what would be a better choice? I was going to get Fiamms, but if there's something easier and still simple to hook up, then that'd be cool... Fiamms seem to be a very popular choice.

I really don't know. I looked at Hellas and they looked the same in terms of the quality. I also looked at Wolo and they looked the same except they had some really stupid looking stuff like "Bad Boy Horns" and stuff like that. I remember once that IdahoDoug did some really extensive research on horn sound some time ago and concluded that the BMW 5 Series from 86 -94 (or something similar to that) were the loudest and clearest stockers. Maybe he can jump in and remind all of us what model was the winner specifically. I'm certainly not saying the Fiamms are the best, just that they are adequate and easy. What I'd really like the most would be something from some Toyota vehicle that totally outdoes the 80 series' horns. I mean for such a stout vehicle (the stoutest in Toyota's inventory) the horns truly suck. HTH. :cheers:

*Help*
I pulled out the factory horns and bolted 2 of these in their place. I connected them to the factory harness and also ran the supplied wire from the other connector to the rear of the horn as instructed. They worked at first but then nothing. :frown:

I heard the factory relay clicking when the horn was pushed so I replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. The 15a fuse is also intact. :confused:

Please help.

Here's what I did - unbolted the factory horns from the little metal mount that sticks out. They were each suspended from that mount by a small strip of metal. The Fiamms each came with a similar strip of metal to attach them to the mount. So, basically I mounted them exactly like the stock horns. This means both horns are grounded off the mount, not via a wire. For the hot wires,. I just pushed the original plugs onto the FIAM connectors. Works great, and looks better with a little black paint.

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

I hated the factory horns. Headed to the self-serve junkyard and found some horns off a big ford truck. (actually grabbed F-250 and GMC 2500 to play with)
Same single wire and a ground bolt. Almost went with a set from the parts store but preferred a factory set for 1/4 the price.

I'll try to take some pictures but they fit right where the stock Toyota horns were and sound like real horns should.

...funny thing is I did the same thing on my commuter Prius too. HUGE improvement.

-Sean

I just ordered the Fiamm "El grande" on amazon. Under $18 and free shipping. Comes with relay and and all the junk. I just need to find a place to mount them. I pulled the stock horn and put the winch solenoid in its place. You can find sound clips of the Fiamm horns on YouTube. The reviews on the net were good for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom