OEM Hood silencer - different versions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As more we search as more we find surprises.
I‘ve realized there are two types of silencers: difference in the form and the holes.
Any ideas why it is so?
This version came from original BJ43 (Nov 1979)
7DABD03A-FB5D-499D-9937-552C7648FC8C.jpeg

this came from other car (no idea the market / engine / year)
130A253D-D3E4-477A-A6FA-D0741738847D.jpeg

now we can see the difference
4DB4ADEE-5E2F-4690-916A-EAA18033C37D.png

both are original. Any idea?

Are there any markings ?
Does it have the typical part number embossed on it someplace?

If I had to guess it’s the same part number but different vendors .... the one that has the openings to get to the windshield hold downs makes more sense

If not different vendors maybe just a modified design ... too bad we don’t know the age of the one ... that would have been a help

If it does have a pn on it... it’s quite possible th vendor has a stamp near it

My 2c

Are there any markings ?
Does it have the typical part number embossed on it someplace?

If I had to guess it’s the same part number but different vendors .... the one that has the openings to get to the windshield hold downs makes more sense

If not different vendors maybe just a modified design ... too bad we don’t know the age of the one ... that would have been a help

If it does have a pn on it... it’s quite possible th vendor has a stamp near it

My 2c

Thanks! Unfortunately both doesn’t have any part number. I have to search in the internet, may be it depends on the year or engine. Very interesting

Always wondered what exactly these are supposed to achieve? Purely sound suppression or keep some heat from the sun off the engine?
Could also imagine it would keep some heat trapped in the engine bay, also would get quite filthy over time.
Cheers guys

It looks like it was around 4 different types of the silencer after 1976. The last change was in 08.1980.
Easy to compare before and after
CB1672AA-71E1-41ED-91B2-94FA8C4A5EDE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom