OEM hitch, safe to tow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max.Powerzz

Cruisers and Art!
Threads
Done lots of reading and it seems people tow with the factory in-bumper hitch. I ordered an insert from Lexus and one of the bolts stripped out, the threads literally stripped off without much torque. Spoke with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and he said Aussies use the in-bumper hitch, but US DOT frowns on them. I'm nervous to pull with this, I have a 3,400lb travel trailer. I could tap the offending hole and rethread for a bigger bolt, but don't think I'm comfortable putting trailer weight on this hitch now.

One option is to weld the insert into the rear frame. Would that be strong enough or is it better to just get the under-frame mounted hitch?

thread1.jpg

thread2.jpg

hitch.jpg

On the backside of the crossmember (have to drop spare tire to see), nuts are just welded on. You can cut off the stripped nut and put a new one on.

Regarding towing with the crossmember hitch, I would consult the specs in your owners manual. With that said, Kurt knows his stuff.

Reactions: MJK
I tow our car hauler trailer with it, no issues in 10 years

I have a hard time believing Toyota/Lexus engineers would design and build something not capable of doing it's intended job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom