OEM Fog Light Switch Location & Blank Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to be installing OEM fog lights with a OEM switch in our 1970 FJ40. Our dash has 2 blanks. I had assumed that the upper blank between the choke and the hazard light switch to be the appropriate location. Would that be correct? Secondly, what is the best way of removing the blank without marring the paint on the dash? Do these just pry out with a small screwdriver from the front? Can the switch be installed by removing the ash tray and going in through that opening as opposed to removing the heater assembly?
Thanks.

11.08.2021.Dash Blank.jpg

Just pry up with taped-wrapped screwdriver. I was able to squeeze my hand up there for the switch-I didn't remove my heater.

I BELIEVE a 1970 FJ40 USA spec. the OEM TOYOTA FOG SWITCH was mounted under dash on a OEM L bracket similar to a LATER 2F era HAND THROTTLE set up

what say @65swb45 🤔

dsc_0001-1-web-jpg.548730

LOOKIE LOOKIE .......... really hard it's a tiny buy important TECH image here........

p1080986-jpg.549536

p1090049-jpg.549537

s-l1600.jpg

download (3).jpg

Last edited:
The upper blank was for the hand throttle that was dropped in the US marker for the 70 model. Lower one was for the rear heater blower switch. I don't show the bracket that moved the hand throttle to botton of the dash until 10/71. That is when the blank here probably was dropped. Never seen a pre 68 model hazard switch FJ40. Was told some in the US had a switch mounted be below the dash. My 9/67 68 model had the hazard to the left of cigarette lighter. Other markets seen the red knob hazard switch below the dash on RHD model which I'm guessing far fewer markets required hazards in the sixties and early seventies. So a spot was there on RHD models.

The upper blank was for the hand throttle that was dropped in the US marker for the 70 model. Lower one was for the rear heater blower switch. I don't show the bracket that moved the hand throttle to botton of the dash until 10/71. That is when the blank here probably was dropped. Never seen a pre 68 model hazard switch FJ40. Was told some in the US had a switch mounted be below the dash. My 9/67 68 model had the hazard to the left of cigarette lighter. Other markets seen the red knob hazard switch below the dash on RHD model which I'm guessing far fewer markets required hazards in the sixties and early seventies. So a spot was there on RHD models.

i have a 1964 USA spec. fj40 wire diagram that shows the HAZARD as a " OPT " in a circle ....

so it was a PORT or Dealer installed KIT of some sort to meet the Strict California WARNING Lamps requirements that year and next few years till the HAZARD became

standard equipment ALL usa spec. land cruisers in approx. 1968-ish .......

@Living in the Past , what modle year FJ40L USA spec. did the hazard switch become north American standard equipment , or what pro-date , @Coolerman and i had a

lengthy conversation one night long ago and neither of us could pin point that important pro-date and or new modle year feature ?

i have taken in several HAZARD switch cores from various USA spec. early trucks with a 45' angle L bracket still attached to them due to a FROZEN corroded red knob could not be removed by my clients ......

dscn7443-jpg.2638952

dscn7450-jpg.2638942

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom