For Sale OEM FJ40 Soft Top, Bows, back doors, great condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This top certainly looks very nice, so I have a few questions for the experts before considering this:

What is the latest known date that Toyota sold replacement tops?

Were all of the plastic windows etched or heat stamped with the TEq symbol along with other numbers?

Were the zippers always brass and made by YKK?

Was the original factory fabric always single-layer canvas with cotton trimming/serging?

Were the factory tops stitched with cotton thread or polyester or something longer lasting?

The photos appear to show canvas fabric, and if so, the longer the exposure to the sun the weaker the fabric can become. So a used canvas top must lose some of its longevity over time and repeated exposure to the elements. Since new canvas shrinks after initial getting wet, isn't there a risk of tearing when refitting it over bows not in the same original position?

Thanks !

I highly doubt it’s an oem Toyota top, very easy to heat stamp the windows. I have had everything from a true oem top from the early 70’s to Colombian repros. This top is nice, but it’s most likely a reproduction from Saudi, or SA .

Let’s assume these are a reproduction set. Some manufacturer went the extra step to stamp TEQ etc. on the vinyl windows and stamp the front bow where the dome light Is mounted Aftermarket bows and canvas tops are selling without these features. Seams like a stretch these are reproductions but maybe.

I recall the aftermarket front bow is designed for FST doors. There was mention of these needing to bent slightly to accommodate late model hard doors. If this truck is all original and these are a legit set of OEM bows, then the parts will be stamped to account for late model doors. I have a pair of early FST bows and sold the FST doors knowing my hard doors wouldn’t be an exact fit (Close enough to not worry about it).

The bows are oem, there are no repro bows as good as oem. Paki bows and real steel are no where close to oem in quality. This top is nice, but not oem Toyota nice. The oem top I used to have was super heavy, double insulated, amazing quality. I’m not aware of Toyota making an oem top since the 40 series went away in 83,84.

For reference, here’s a photo of an NOS OEM soft top.

FC630DBC-B074-4A3B-8DCC-21AFBDFE99AB.jpeg

The bows are oem, there are no repro bows as good as oem. Paki bows and real steel are no where close to oem in quality. This top is nice, but not oem Toyota nice. The oem top I used to have was super heavy, double insulated, amazing quality. I’m not aware of Toyota making an oem top since the 40 series went away in 83,84.
Surprised at the people claiming this is not OEM without looking at it. I purchased this from a collector in Indonesia (there are lots of old classic Land Cruisers there) who was more proud of having found one with an original top in this good of condition than he was of the whole rest of the vehicle. The material is for sure OEM, and although I was told that the bows were OEM, too, I believe they are, but can't say 100 percent since I don't know what to look for. The truck was parked in an 8 bay garage by the collector (with 7 other restored Land Cruisers) for years and used just for viewing.

20191128_103747.jpg

20200313_082048.jpg

20200313_082211.jpg

IMG-20191128-WA0004.jpg

Being a collector or having great wealth does not bestow 100% authority on anyone. Collectors can, and have been, duped before, no matter the field or specimen; forgeries are discovered all the time. Certainly the truck pictured looks very nice and well-cared for. But obviously not original in many respects.

Why not sell the top as a beautiful unit, without representing it as anything else, price it as you wish, and let the buyer decide its worth, originality, and provenance? As in any field, some of the members here are very knowledgeable and will dispute claims based upon their years of experience. It is not reasonable to expect one of them to travel to view your items to authenticate in person, without a stipend for their services. So absent detailed photography of areas they suspect as questionable, you will continue to receive a variety of responses regarding originality as they and others see it.

Good luck with your sale.

If you look at the oem top, it has two seams that run down the top, and the windows are not sewn in. I’m not an expert, but have had a dozen or so Fst bows and tops over the years, and these are my observations. This should not take anything away from this top, it is very well done. Glws.

Being a collector or having great wealth does not bestow 100% authority on anyone. Collectors can, and have been, duped before, no matter the field or specimen; forgeries are discovered all the time. Certainly the truck pictured looks very nice and well-cared for. But obviously not original in many respects.

Why not sell the top as a beautiful unit, without representing it as anything else, price it as you wish, and let the buyer decide its worth, originality, and provenance? As in any field, some of the members here are very knowledgeable and will dispute claims based upon their years of experience. It is not reasonable to expect one of them to travel to view your items to authenticate in person, without a stipend for their services. So absent detailed photography of areas they suspect as questionable, you will continue to receive a variety of responses regarding originality as they and others see it.

Good luck with your sale.
I am happy to take any detailed photos or let anyone examin it in person. If an expert wants to see a detailed photo of a certain part, just ask. If someone can post something specific as to why they belive it is a counterfeit, please specify exactly why and i will greatly appreciate it. Otherwise it sounds to me like an uniformed guess. I am new to FJ40s and i don't know what to look for. There is a possibility the collector i bought it from was duped when he bought it. He wasn't trying to dupe me because I told him I was going to swap the soft top out as I am not a fan. He was a bit aghast when I told him that, but sold it any way :).

Just so you know @Dougiemo there is a ton of knowledge and experience on the forum, and while our comments may seem harsh or negative, they are meant to help both the seller and possible buyer to know more about the product being sold.

If anything we want a fair deal for both parties and chime in with info that can help. I have seen some sellers come here with a product asking a stupid low price and were corrected to ask a much higher price almost instantly...

Your top is super nice for the right buyer... I'd love to have the bows, but it would be wrong to not use the rear doors with this set and keep it all together. Again, GLWS!

Just so you know @Dougiemo there is a ton of knowledge and experience on the forum, and while our comments may seem harsh or negative, they are meant to help both the seller and possible buyer to know more about the product being sold.

If anything we want a fair deal for both parties and chime in with info that can help. I have seen some sellers come here with a product asking a stupid low price and were corrected to ask a much higher price almost instantly...

Your top is super nice for the right buyer... I'd love to have the bows, but it would be wrong to not use the rear doors with this set and keep it all together. Again, GLWS!
Thanks for the note. I do appreciate the conversation and hope it didn't sound like I am offended by the dialog. This is interesting and I want to pick everyone's brains. If someone says this is not OEM with no explanation, that doesn't help me at all. If someone says something like 'OEM tops all have two seams on the top' that is super useful and I can unpack my boxes and look for the seams. I am definately not selling the top just for the money, just trying to find what is fair. I like this new truck enough I am considering importing at least one more. I love my 13BT engine, but want a gas one, too, especially if the engine is the original.

Ha! Well that proves some non oem parts on your truck! 40 series never had the 13BT! It's a very nice upgrade for the 40!

there is a few obvious ones like the front shackle reversal and the blinkers, either way definitely looks like a nice ride.
Thanks. I am sure there are other parts that have been replaced that are not OEM. I just replaced the starter, so that also is not OEM. One tough thing is no heater. So I am freezing in this winter weather 😩 but it doesn't stop me from driving it at least once a week. :)

I have 24 volt heater stuff including the center console heater... I’m in the DC metro area too. Would love to see the truck in person.

I have 24 volt heater stuff including the center console heater... I’m in the DC metro area too. Would love to see the truck in person.
Thanks guys. I'll have to check that out. When I asked the guy in Indonesia how to work the heater, he looked at me like I was from Mars. Being on the equator, heater are totally aliento them. But the AC unit works like champ. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom