OEM FJ40 Power Steering Box with 35" or larger tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,
My 68 FJ40 still has the stock manual steering box, 400 SBC with 35" boggers. In my shop I have a 79 OEM FJ40 power steering box and a IH Scout power steering box. I have used a Scout box on a previous FJ40 with 35" tires, SBC 350 and it worked out fine. I have not decided which power steering system to go with on this 68 FJ40 and I really have no personal knowledge of the stock FJ40 power steering box and it's capability to handle 35" or larger tires. Is it beefy enough? The 68 will probably spend most of it's new life on the road and not in the mud.

If I go with the OEM FJ40 PS system, what would be required to mate the box to the existing 68 steering column?

Thanks in advance for any input!

dont nkow what to say about them back in our mudding days with the mini trucks almost the same box we ran 35s and 40s on most of our trucks and never had a box fail,my kid had a mini truck for years with 38s and the stock power steering box .that was years ago when the trucks were only a few years old but they held up well

The main problem with the stock type setup is the relay rod from the box tends to get hit by the drivers front tire when you have 35" tires or bigger. A 60 series or the scout box conversion would be a better route IMOP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom