OEM belt part number discrepancies (3FE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay folks, lots of reading and some good discussion, just no clarity on a part number issue. Best I can tell from the land of search, the smooth belts are the true OEM’s and what I’m looking for - at least for 80 series‘ in general. I’m assuming the same is true for the 3FE, although I could only find a specific reference to the other motor.

I have both partsouq and McGeorge pulled up and attempting to buy a set, but they don’t match. While partsouq references two different diagrams and part number sets for ribbed versus smooth, McGeorge does not and only references them as OEM. Some of the part numbers match for the smooth, but one is different and does not.

Anyone already hashed this out?

Ordered, in shame. From that same diagram I already had while feverishly searching.

Something about not seeing the forest for the trees...

Okay, maybe not so much shame. I guess the question still remains, is the slick vs ribbed belt issue discussion for the FJ, or is this only an FZJ noise issue?

Got my first batch of parts from McGeorge, with said belts matching the diagram. They are not the same. (For the record, I got exactly what I ordered, no issue there. Just not sure what the deal is with different belts available and which ones need to be installed.)

DAED64B9-F7CE-4E20-AFC8-023A77357F16.jpeg

If I remember correctly the belt that goes to the air pump was not ribbed on my 91 but the others were. That being said, I could be remembering completley wrong.......

If I remember correctly the belt that goes to the air pump was not ribbed on my 91 but the others were. That being said, I could be remembering completley wrong.......

This likely explains it. I think I’m having a case of jumbled reading reference here, and this discussion is more of a non-3FE gig. (Though it is odd that partsouq offers both, and distinguishes them as different and both available for my VIN.)

Interesting tidbit on my Cruiser - it currently has no belt on the air pump. I’m almost afraid to put one back on it 😂

Okay, maybe not so much shame. I guess the question still remains, is the slick vs ribbed belt issue discussion for the FJ, or is this only an FZJ noise issue?

Got my first batch of parts from McGeorge, with said belts matching the diagram. They are not the same. (For the record, I got exactly what I ordered, no issue there. Just not sure what the deal is with different belts available and which ones need to be installed.)
I don't understand the confusion here.
There are 3 Toyota part numbers for the 3 belts used on the 3FE. There are no "matched" belts on a 3FE as all 3 are different sizes.
The diagram shows how each belt gets routed and associated part numbers for each belt.

Your next step would be to put them on the engine.

Last edited:
The confusion comes from searching the topic and getting 6 full pages of results, most discussing that one should use OEM Toyota belts because they are “smooth” and the 80’s don’t like the ribbed belts.
I ordered OEM Toyota per the part numbers from the diagram, and one is smooth and two are ribbed.

Just trying to see what the discrepancy is and if it matters.

This isn’t exactly a motor swap, I know, but I still have no desire to do the job twice just for fun.

There is no discrepancy.
The AC belt is smooth and also narrower than the other 2 because that is the way Toyota designed the pullies.
I can't remember if Toyota changed from smooth to ribbed for the 3FE belts at some point or another, but the part numbers are the part numbers.

For the 1FZ the Toyota belts are smooth and there is a matched pair for the alternator.

At this point you could have replaced belts twice and done an oil change.

The confusion comes from searching the topic and getting 6 full pages of results, most discussing that one should use OEM Toyota belts because they are “smooth” and the 80’s don’t like the ribbed belts.
I ordered OEM Toyota per the part numbers from the diagram, and one is smooth and two are ribbed.

Just trying to see what the discrepancy is and if it matters.

This isn’t exactly a motor swap, I know, but I still have no desire to do the job twice just for fun.
It's the 1FZ-FE engine that has an idler on the alternator belts that absolutely howl if you install cogged belts.

If you bought the Toyota part number belts for the 3FE, then you got the right thing. No rocket surgery going on here.

Got it. So the issue is a 1FZ thing and these are good to go.

Starting to think 80 Series Tech isn't really the forum for a 1992 owner.

The 80 Series in the US market came in 3 varieties over 7 years, each with its own set of "features". 2 different engines, 3 different transmissions, 2 types of transfer cases, etc. all living in basically the same body/frame.
In short, this is the ONLY place for an owner of a 1992 FJ80 to get real answers to technical questions.

Got it. So the issue is a 1FZ thing and these are good to go.

This is absolutely the correct place for this. There are a few here that are the "experts" on the 91-92 and you already have one in your court.

Listen to him.

The 80 Series in the US market came in 3 varieties over 7 years, each with its own set of "features". 2 different engines, 3 different transmissions, 2 types of transfer cases, etc. all living in basically the same body/frame.
In short, this is the ONLY place for an owner of a 1992 FJ80 to get real answers to technical questions.

Just wondering if the 60 series tech forum has more or equal amounts of 3FE info.

I like this ol girl, and “underpowered” is a plus for when the kid starts driving. 😀 But, I understand most prefer the 1FZ and there are far more of them to talk about.

Just wondering if the 60 series tech forum has more or equal amounts of 3FE info.

I like this ol girl, and “underpowered” is a plus for when the kid starts driving. 😀 But, I understand most prefer the 1FZ and there are far more of them to talk about.
The 60 Series forum will go between the 2F engine and the 3FE. While the 2 versions of the 3FE are very similar, there are some differences, and the overall vehicle is very different as it is in a 60 Series body/frame/drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom