OEM alarm price needed for insurance claim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bobsethi.com
My 80 was broken into a few weeks ago and the alarm system damaged beyond repair. Insurance will pay me out to purchase an aftermarket alarm *IF* they are provided proof of how much the alarm costs. The obvious play is they're trying to say it's worthless and give me $0.00.

Anyone got links or sales info for the RS3000 alarm?

Comments on how sh*te it is aren't needed.

Cheers.

157985194_10217669982692521_865296799298267018_o.jpg

Last edited:
I would go to your local dealer, have them write up a quote to replace your alarm. The adjuster's eyes might just pop out of their head :rofl:

My 80 was broken into a few weeks ago and the alarm system damaged beyond repair. Insurance will pay me out to purchase an aftermarket alarm *IF* they are provided proof of how much the alarm costs. The obvious play is they're trying to say it's worthless and give me $0.00.

Anyone got links or sales info for the RS3000 alarm?

Comments on how s***e it is aren't needed.

Cheers.
There are aftermarket alarms that are functionally similar to the original alarm (which itself was an aftermarket alarm). The dealer idea is good, but for something more realistic just head to your local car stereo joint and ask for an installed price quote.

$695

Taking it to a dealer is probably a smart idea and include having it re-keyed if you can. Then go aftermarket if you want to unlock your doors more than 5 feet away... I went Clifford and love the 2 way remote alarm function, distance to unlock the doors but I think the system is garbage and battery life sucks and would go elsewhere if had the chance to do it again. Mine got broken into and keys stolen so was able to go this route, wish I knew so many options here with vendors to re-key OEM and likely much cheaper and seemingly easy to do it yourself.
Some cool options to link alarms to your phone if that's your thing. Not disappointed I went away from OEM alarm tho. I hated everything about it.

I would go to your local dealer, have them write up a quote to replace your alarm. The adjuster's eyes might just pop out of their head :rofl:
Unfortunately, Canada didn't get the 80-series. We did get the Lexus LX450 but the dealers here have been unable to price it. I'll try reaching out to the US dealers I buy parts from. Thanks.

There are aftermarket alarms that are functionally similar to the original alarm (which itself was an aftermarket alarm). The dealer idea is good, but for something more realistic just head to your local car stereo joint and ask for an installed price quote.
Insurance wants the price of the RS3000 only 🤬

You could check the part out/used part forum for one. If you can find one for sell than you could send a copy of the listing to your insurance company.

Maybe I should decide to sell mine an post it up for a ridiculously high price......

Hell no, go full on full price and installation lol. also doesn't matter what insurance tells you. That's a start, Their job is to foot the cost to return it to the condition it was before your unfortunate event. Once that cost is established you have the option got get it back how it was taking it somewhere that can return it to how it was legitimately or to cash out and go aftermarket if your choice and do what works for you. If not you need to look for another insurance company...
I don't get why Lexus cant get you handled but they can get it fixed if you find the part and you trust them. Does the LX450 not have the same alarm? Tell them you have a 97 LX450?

Definitely get a quote from a Toyota dealer; the labor alone could easily be 10+ hours, at least, as they first have to correctly remove what's remaining then reinstall the new alarm

However, if any parts of the original cowl harness were damaged and the dealer decided it was unrepairable, that right there would be $3000 for the cost of the new harness by itself (if the harness is still available) and 20 hours of labor to replace. So $6000+.

The insurance companies will always lowball you in the first or second round, you have to be firm and demand the vehicle be put back to it's original factory condition, which is the law in many US States, AFAIK.

You could check the part out/used part forum for one. If you can find one for sell than you could send a copy of the listing to your insurance company.

Maybe I should decide to sell mine an post it up for a ridiculously high price......
lol, do it

Hell no, go full on full price and installation lol. also doesn't matter what insurance tells you. That's a start, Their job is to foot the cost to return it to the condition it was before your unfortunate event. Once that cost is established you have the option got get it back how it was taking it somewhere that can return it to how it was legitimately or to cash out and go aftermarket if your choice and do what works for you. If not you need to look for another insurance company...
I don't get why Lexus cant get you handled but they can get it fixed if you find the part and you trust them. Does the LX450 not have the same alarm? Tell them you have a 97 LX450?
100% agreed. I've already requested a new adjustor for my file and sent in the window sticker that @ERG80 provided. It'll have to be the cost of the alarm (converted from USD to CDN) plus the install or I'm not settling. I've already won in a previous arbitration so I'm aware of the games they'll play.

As for Lexus, here they sold the LX450 fully loaded since Canada is such a small market Toyota went whole hog to sell them. But, that's the benefit of forums like MUD, to get info not readily available up North.

Definitely get a quote from a Toyota dealer; the labor alone could easily be 10+ hours, at least, as they first have to correctly remove what's remaining then reinstall the new alarm

However, if any parts of the original cowl harness were damaged and the dealer decided it was unrepairable, that right there would be $3000 for the cost of the new harness by itself (if the harness is still available) and 20 hours of labor to replace. So $6000+.

The insurance companies will always lowball you in the first or second round, you have to be firm and demand the vehicle be put back to it's original factory condition, which is the law in many US States, AFAIK.
I hadn't considered having Toyota assess if there was any cowl harness damage. - I'll look into that on Monday. Only unfortunate bit, besides the cowl harness maybe not being available, is that that cost would put the 80 dangerously close to insurance writing the vehicle off based on Canadian book value. But, I could just buy it back and put the settlement money back into the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom