Odyssey, Optima (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
I've found references to Odyssey batteries, one poster suggested they're available as low as $120, but no website. They're $$$ at my local Batteries Plus, and I can't find them for sale online. Every online reference points to a battery place that doesn't carry them. Help?

I've found Optima batteries online (http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com, http://batteriesareus.com) but one sells the 34R reversed post battery, the other sells the R800R reversed post battery. Are they the same? I thought the R800R was the old battery?

Sam's used to sell the Champion version of the Optima, I'll be checking that out too.

I purchased my Odyssey P1700MJT through this place http://www.thebatterybarn.com/ and the price was lower than batteries plus even with the shipping and as an added bonus I did not have to pay NC sales tax. I think it was $220 to my door vs $239 plus tax from batteries plus.

Fits perfectly in the 100 series. :D

Andrew

this is where I got a pair of 1200MJT's from
http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey.cfm

best price and cheapest shiping(store is in florida, batts come from Arizona) Great service as well. 167.50 to my door, each batt.

Also look at the Excide Orbitals, I using 3 of them(extremes) Cost is $110 each localy.

The P1700MJ fits an 80 with about 10 minutes of mods as well...

This is the best place I've found. I've used them a couple of times.

http://www.batterymart.com

PC1700MJT $198.95
PC1200MJT $145.95

Shipping was like $20 to my door.

actaully shiping is less(batt is .95 less ;) at batteryweb, 22.50(anyplace in the lower 48) vrs 28.27......not much but a bit :D

[quote author=hoser link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg93387#msg93387 date=1074706682]
This is the best place I've found. I've used them a couple of times.

http://www.batterymart.com

PC1700MJT $198.95
PC1200MJT $145.95

Shipping was like $20 to my door.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with lead-acid. It's got to have good CCA, it'll spend several days at a time in the O'Hare employee lot, often near zero F. A few years ago I looked into inventing a back-up battery for cell phones. Performance at extreme temps was critical, and engineers at the big battery companies assured me lead-acid was the best for that. The Odyssey is a lot more $ for less CCA.

Any feedback on spiral cell batteries (Optima, Champion)? I'm hearing there have been some regrets, not worth the extra $$$?

[quote author=Scott M. link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg93852#msg93852 date=1074771842] Any feedback on spiral cell batteries (Optima, Champion)? I'm hearing there have been some regrets, not worth the extra $$$?
[/quote]

I found this statement interesting

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=6584;start=msg53624#msg53624 date=1066806315]

Regarding deep cycle optimas, here are my opinions when compared to "normal" wet cell lead acid deep cycle batteries:

1) When comparing amp hour ratings (the total amount of power available per deep discharge cycle), an Optima costs a lot more per amp hour of capacity.
2) When comparing amp hour capacity per amount of phyiscal space required, you get a lot less in an Optima battery. This is due to the fact that the round cells in an optima waste a lot of space.
3) There may be a battery overheating risk, at least for me and where I operate, with Optimas, in a TLC 80. Optimas batteries are sealed, meaning that there is no way to add water to the battery. Normally this would never be required, as they are designed not to lose water. However, there is a vent, and they will vent hydrogen and oxygen if the battery is overcharged or overheated. When I operate heavily loaded in the desert mountains in high temperatures, my engine compartment gets damn hot. I expect that it likely gets much hotter than the temps than an Optima should be exposed to. If the Optima overheats and vents gas, then it is not possible to replace the lost water. I freely admit that this concern, for me, is theoritical, as I have neither owned Optimas nor experienced this problem myself.

So what I plan to do is install a pair of "old style" deep cycle batteries. The pair will give me plenty of capacity for both starting the engine in cold temperatures and operating a winch and fridge when camping. When water lose occurs I will be able (and will need to) add more water. I expect the total cost over the lifetime of the batteries will be around half of what Optimas cost.

The brands that I will be considering include Trojan (major supplier of electric golf cart batteries, a west coast company) and Rolls (past history of suppling very good quality marine deep cycle batteries, east cost company - Surrette was the former name). Neither one markets to the automotive trade, as passenger vehicles rarely require deep cycle batteries. I expect Trojans are more familiar to RV and boat owners. In the consumer market Rolls would likely only be known to boaters. I have had excellant experience with Surrette deep cycle batteries in the past, I don't know if the Rolls models perform as well or not.
[/quote]

So then..all the battery threads I've perused and never have come to a final conclusion. My panasonic is dying, I have all the goodies to do a 2nd battery install, but haven't and won't get to it til summer....so what's a good battery to replace the stocker? I use to think Optima, but have now read bad stuff on this board. I'm thinkin about using the Odyssey P1700MJT or PC1200MJT...which one drops right into a 80..and then will either of those be fine as the main battery and then get a different type for the 2nd battery??? Or are they sufficient to use for both batteries?
Squeezer..what did ya have to do to fit the 1700 into your 80??

Just to mix it up a bit, I've breifly heard good things about SVR batteries. www.Svrbatteries.com I dont know much about them just curious if anyone has used them?

-Bryan

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg94916#msg94916 date=1074965210]

will either of those be fine as the main battery and then get a different type for the 2nd battery???

...[/quote]

To maximize the life of dual batteries it is highly recommended to do one of the following: 1) use exactly identical batteries including age, or 2) ensure that your charging system individually senses the voltage of each battery and charges each battery seperatley, and also ensure that the batteries are never in parallel other than in emergency situations such as winching, engine starting when one battery is insufficient, or jump starting your buddy. Otherwise one battery can end up being continuously overcharged and the other continuously undercharged, which is bad for both.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg94930#msg94930 date=1074966804]
or 2) ensure that your charging system individually senses the voltage of each battery and charges each battery seperatley, ...snip... Otherwise one battery can end up being continuously overcharged and the other continuously undercharged, which is bad for both.
[/quote]

My understanding of batteries is that they are charged by the solely higher voltage of the alternator (2V), it seams to me that each battery would take its fill and then slowly taper charging current to 0 when its voltage is high enough to stop incoming current from the alternator seams that this would be independent of how many batteries you have?? Could you elaborate more on this any good reading? Links?

Dual batteries will be one of the first mods my cruiser gets; I hope to use one deep cycle for an onboard computer/stereo and a standard battery solely for starting. I was planning to run them parallel during engine running and isolated wile engine off

Throwing in my $.02...

There are, in my mind, two major advantages to AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries:

1) When inverted they don't leak.
2) They 'tend' to hold a charge better during long periods of inactivity.

On almost every other front, a wet cell will beat them. If one of these two criteria are important to you, buy AGM.

If not, a quality wet cell battery is probably a better choice.

JJJ

I would try to fit the 1700 if only going with one battery.

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg94916#msg94916 date=1074965210]
So then..all the battery threads I've perused and never have come to a final conclusion. My panasonic is dying, I have all the goodies to do a 2nd battery install, but haven't and won't get to it til summer....so what's a good battery to replace the stocker? I use to think Optima, but have now read bad stuff on this board. I'm thinkin about using the Odyssey P1700MJT or PC1200MJT...which one drops right into a 80..and then will either of those be fine as the main battery and then get a different type for the 2nd battery??? Or are they sufficient to use for both batteries?
Squeezer..what did ya have to do to fit the 1700 into your 80??
[/quote]

Alrighty then, I'll go for the 1700...anybody know how they fit in the 2nd battery tray?? (the 91-93 flavor I believe) So then my dual bat set up will be two 1700's. Is that overkill, any opinions.

Also, any problem with adding the second batery, say, six months after installing the first? I am following the directions on Slee's site for Dual batts. and have their water bottle relocation goodies, and a tray from C-dan for a 93, I believe.

I maybe waaayyy out of date, but why nobody mentioned Interstates ?
I've been using them as replacments for years in most of the cars (heavy electrical loaded) I've owned without any problems.

Frank.

In my area, dealers who encounter a new car buyer that's unhappy with the stock battery replace them with an Interstate. Ironically, a few years after finding this out, my own new vehicle battery proved inadequate and the dealer suggested - what else - an Interstate. It worked flawlessly.

DougM

[quote author=raventai link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg95096#msg95096 date=1075011083]

(refering to an earlier post)

Could you elaborate more on this any good reading? Links?

[/quote]

My comments are based research I have done in the past regarding installing parallel banks of batteries in boats (common and very comparable to an offroad truck with engine off loads such as a fridge) and also more recently regarding using large banks of parallel batteries to provide either backup or primary power in a residence when the power grid is not available. The recomendations have been universal that when charging and loading batteries in parallel it is best that they are same type, model, manufacturer, and age. Obviously in a large bank, say in a home backup, if a battery suffers early failure it would get replaced with a newer battery, but still should be the same manufacturer and model.

So, to get more info, do a search on dual battery marine installation and residential solar power for more background. Online marine stores offer books on 12 volt wiring, including dual battery installations, for marine use.

Rich

[quote author=Photo_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=10425;start=msg96540#msg96540 date=1075333321] I am following the directions on Slee's site for Dual batts. and have their water bottle relocation goodies, and a tray from C-dan for a 93, I believe.
[/quote]

91-92 FJ80 actually. The battery in the 3FE powered vehicles is on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom