odometer take apart? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read all of the post that I could find. Somewhere I had read about removing the brass bushing that holds the rollers on the shat, but I can't find it now that I've got the unit exposed. There is a bushing at each end, but neither wants to move.

How much force is needed to pull one of these off??
IMG_2964.JPG

After taking the odometer out one more time, I was able to remove the brass bushing with some wire cutters. I didn't cut through but deformed it just a bit to slide off. Soaked it again with Simple Green. Once reinstalled, now my fuel gauge is not working. I must have shorted out the thin cotton/metal wire somehow. This summer, once I save some money after currently having a new FJ80 engine put in our new 80, I am going to put in a brand new cluster in kmh and not bother with it again. My son has run out of gas 9 times and carries a 5-gallon can in the back of the FJ40.
update- i put one side of the shaft in a plastic jawed vice and just pulled with some force and was able to slide it (brass ring) far enough to clean and reset the odo.

Putting it back together, i installed the c-clip on the one side, then used a socket to hammer gently on the brass bushing. I'm assuming they made it difficult so people couldn't just go in and reset the odo very easily...

Mine were stuck too. I just soaked the cluster in soapy hot water and kept applying steady preasure/twisting at the brass bushing. Soak again and repeat until it comes off. You could use some needle nose pliers and a rag to rap around the bushing so you don't damage it.

I think they are just stuck with old hard grease that just needs a little persuasion to get em' off.

when I took it apart, there were some thin small brass washers between some of the discs, but not all....so should there be one between each disc, or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom