Odometer cleaning questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been months since I've had a free day, so I decided to fix the stuck odometer. Following this thread which is just awesome (thanks @baas!!!) but I ran into a couple of questions just from taking it apart. It is filled with dust and gunk, the tens and hundreds were so frozen it took me about 45 minutes just to work them loose enough to get off without cracking them.

1 - The main shaft that goes through the numerical wheels rests on a piece of plastic. Mine was clearly cracked and the entire wheel glued to the plastic (see first pic below with my thumb in it). I also included a pic (second one) which shows the odometer removed and the cleanup under way. My questions related to this are: does the main metal shaft need to be secured where it was glued in? do I need to glue the piece in somehow and then insert the main shaft? Just glue the main shaft to the plastic like it was? Or can I just rely on the cotter pin to hold the other side in place and hope the rest of it just ... sits still?

2 - The tenths wheel is supposed to be white but is yellowed with some brownish spots (see bottom pic below). Looks like white plastic thats been around a heavy smoker for a long time. I'm not going for perfect, but any suggestions on how to brighten it up a bit?

[For reference, mostly 1976 fj40, columbian import (which I'm will generate some hatemail but its what I have), with a likely 1979 tub and what I think is a late 75 2f engine. Still new to the 40 and working on cars in general - only been an owner for a few months and its my first one.]

Thanks!!

IMG_0320.JPEG

IMG_0323.JPEG

IMG_0324.JPEG

Last edited:
Nothing should be glued, it is simply plastic parts rotating on shafts!

Been months since I've had a free day, so I decided to fix the stuck odometer. Following this thread which is just awesome (thanks @baas!!!) but I ran into a couple of questions just from taking it apart. It is filled with dust and gunk, the tens and hundreds were so frozen it took me about 45 minutes just to work them loose enough to get off without cracking them.

1 - The main shaft that goes through the numerical wheels rests on a piece of plastic. Mine was clearly cracked and the entire wheel glued to the plastic (see first pic below with my thumb in it). I also included a pic (second one) which shows the odometer removed and the cleanup under way. My questions related to this are: does the main metal shaft need to be secured where it was glued in? do I need to glue the piece in somehow and then insert the main shaft? Just glue the main shaft to the plastic like it was? Or can I just rely on the cotter pin to hold the other side in place and hope the rest of it just ... sits still?

2 - The tenths wheel is supposed to be white but is yellowed with some brownish spots (see bottom pic below). Looks like white plastic thats been around a heavy smoker for a long time. I'm not going for perfect, but any suggestions on how to brighten it up a bit?

[For reference, mostly 1976 fj40, columbian import (which I'm will generate some hatemail but its what I have), with a likely 1979 tub and what I think is a late 75 2f engine. Still new to the 40 and working on cars in general - only been an owner for a few months and its my first one.]

Thanks!!

View attachment 3154086
View attachment 3154087
View attachment 3154088

I don’t see how you could go about repairing without attempting to glue the broken piece back into place.

I don’t see how you could go about repairing without attempting to glue the broken piece back into place.

That was my assumption - that I'd need to either glue the busted piece or maybe I can 3d print and glue a custom piece there instead. The whole metal shaft was glued into that corner and the busted piece looks like it was just glued to kinda keep it there but the glue was doing all the work.

Thanks!!

View attachment 3154086
View attachment 3154087
View attachment 3154088
Yeah your going to get a few comments.
Your "cracked odometer" is literally the poster child for odometer cracking ( I have not used that term in almost 35 years) It comes from when people would literally crack open odometers and roll back the miles for more resale value.
The high side of the odometer carrier is built to break if it's tampered with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom