Odometer And Trip Stated Runnings Backwards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys just noticed today on my FZJ80 1994 my odometer and trip started running backwards it was working fine because I had 420km on the trip then I looked down again and it said 402km I was so confused so stop the car reset the trip and watched yep it stated trading 9999km and counting down also the odo goes down 1km at a time any idea what would cause this

Entropy of distance. To understand what is happening you need to look up entropy of time and you can apply the same rules.

Please post up the mod so I can do this to my truck too. At 340K it needs way less mileage.

Did you recently mount directional tires incorrectly :) ??

Seriously - did you jump start or replace the battery lately?

Please let us know what fixes it, and we will all "fix" ours.

Good Luck!

Did you recently mount directional tires incorrectly :) ??

Seriously - did you jump start or replace the battery lately?

Please let us know what fixes it, and we will all "fix" ours.

Good Luck!

Nah man the car has not been touched it just all of sudden started going in reverse lol

I bet you discovered and drove through the fountain of life without even realizing it.....

In all seriousness it sounds like somehow the gears on the speedo or cable got messed up, I am no expert but my guess is it's time for a new speedometer cable or instrument cluster....

If your speedometer is working I can't see how it could be on the speed sensor I would think it would be in the speedometer gears itself something let loose that's a new one for me

Would a bad speedo sensor on the transmission cause this ?
Like I mentioned I am no expert but I think the sensor just reads the revolutions and gives input to the computer for the cruise control and the speedometer/odometer are actually physically driven by a cable and gears. This is why I think you need a new cable or cluster because I think that is where the gears are located. Common sense says the cable is fine because it is still transferring rotational movement to the cluster only somehow in the wrong direction, so wherever the gears are is most likely where the problem lies.

Like I mentioned I am no expert but I think the sensor just reads the revolutions and gives input to the computer for the cruise control and the speedometer/odometer are actually physically driven by a cable and gears. This is why I think you need a new cable or cluster because I think that is where the gears are located. Common sense says the cable is fine because it is still transferring rotational movement to the cluster only somehow in the wrong direction, so wherever the gears are is most likely where the problem lies.
That's what I wanted to say

Yeah that does make a lot of sense so guess what after I hit the dash it started working as normal lol so I guess sometimes hitting a things does work

My '94 doesn't have a cable; it's a sensor on the t-case, sends a signal via wires. When I broke the sensor, nothing worked- speedo, trip, odo. It would make a lot more sense for something to go wrong in this manner with a logic circuit than a cable-driven gear setup anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom