ODO Problem Again

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by NJFJ40, Mar 6, 2004.

1. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

I pulled the instrument cluster on my '80 FJ40 a few weeks ago and did lighting fix and then odo fix as available in the Tech Links on tis site. Everything worked great after re-assembly. My odo clocked from 83179 up to 83309 and now is stuck again. 1/10ths dial moves but won't roll over the other numbers. Before the repair, the shaft was caked with crud and the numbers wouldn't turn. I took it competely apart and degreased everything and re-assembled. Use this red fishing reel lube (that is awesome) on the ODO parts when I did this. Anyone have this problem? Do I need a new cluster or is there something else I need to fix? I didn't see any damage to the little gears that sit between the dials in the odo and I know I put it back together properly as it worked for 130 miles.

Need some more ideas before I spend the $$ on a new cluster (which I fear will just break also given this is a common problem).

Thx.

Andrew

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    no real help, mine started working again ;) But if your is a 1mil odo, then a fj60/2 odo is the same, and pretty easy to find for under $50.

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=12656;start=msg116353#msg116353 date=1078601106]
    I pulled the instrument cluster on my '80 FJ40 a few weeks ago and did lighting fix and then odo fix as available in the Tech Links on tis site. Everything worked great after re-assembly. My odo clocked from 83179 up to 83309 and now is stuck again. 1/10ths dial moves but won't roll over the other numbers. Before the repair, the shaft was caked with crud and the numbers wouldn't turn. I took it competely apart and degreased everything and re-assembled. Use this red fishing reel lube (that is awesome) on the ODO parts when I did this. Anyone have this problem? Do I need a new cluster or is there something else I need to fix? I didn't see any damage to the little gears that sit between the dials in the odo and I know I put it back together properly as it worked for 130 miles.

Need some more ideas before I spend the $$ on a new cluster (which I fear will just break also given this is a common problem).

Thx.

Andrew
    [/quote]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.