1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ODO Problem Again

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by NJFJ40, Mar 6, 2004.

1. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

I pulled the instrument cluster on my '80 FJ40 a few weeks ago and did lighting fix and then odo fix as available in the Tech Links on tis site. Everything worked great after re-assembly. My odo clocked from 83179 up to 83309 and now is stuck again. 1/10ths dial moves but won't roll over the other numbers. Before the repair, the shaft was caked with crud and the numbers wouldn't turn. I took it competely apart and degreased everything and re-assembled. Use this red fishing reel lube (that is awesome) on the ODO parts when I did this. Anyone have this problem? Do I need a new cluster or is there something else I need to fix? I didn't see any damage to the little gears that sit between the dials in the odo and I know I put it back together properly as it worked for 130 miles.

Need some more ideas before I spend the $$ on a new cluster (which I fear will just break also given this is a common problem).

Thx.

Andrew

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

no real help, mine started working again ;) But if your is a 1mil odo, then a fj60/2 odo is the same, and pretty easy to find for under $50.

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=12656;start=msg116353#msg116353 date=1078601106]
    I pulled the instrument cluster on my '80 FJ40 a few weeks ago and did lighting fix and then odo fix as available in the Tech Links on tis site. Everything worked great after re-assembly. My odo clocked from 83179 up to 83309 and now is stuck again. 1/10ths dial moves but won't roll over the other numbers. Before the repair, the shaft was caked with crud and the numbers wouldn't turn. I took it competely apart and degreased everything and re-assembled. Use this red fishing reel lube (that is awesome) on the ODO parts when I did this. Anyone have this problem? Do I need a new cluster or is there something else I need to fix? I didn't see any damage to the little gears that sit between the dials in the odo and I know I put it back together properly as it worked for 130 miles.

Need some more ideas before I spend the $$ on a new cluster (which I fear will just break also given this is a common problem).

Thx.

Andrew
    [/quote]