Ode to the ol' 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I grew up on the south side, so I went to Holland High School. Great town to grow up in during the 70s - a Norman Rockwell town, really. You could get in trouble and the kind police would take you home to your parents - that kind of thing.

So today, I replaced all brake pads, and bedded them with 10 progressively harder stops. If you've never done this, the difference between the wimpy brakes you have on stops 1-4 and the powerful grabbers you have by stop 10 will amaze. Then air filter and clean the dust cup, bleed the brakes fully (inc the load proportioning bleeder). I put on the winter Michelins. Drain and flush the coolant using the block drain, the radiator drain and pulling a hose from the firewall to back flush the heaters. Refilled with Toyota Red and checked its good to -40. New Bosch spar-type wipers that are great in winter. Spray graphite in all locks and ignition, cruise control arm through its arc a few times. The battery cutoff I got at NAPA was a bust - worthless so I didnt install it. Sprayed the purple corrosion inhibitor on the battery terminals and installed those felt discs.

The JB Weld epoxy on the water valve failed in about 3 minutes. I guess that's way better than a fail after about 3 hours - middle of Montana, right? So I bypassed the valve with a chunk of hose and will use a vice grip across the country to act as a closed heater valve since its summer. Bought her a snow brush that can extend longer, with an ice chipper at one end. That'll come in handy. Drained the PS reservoir and filled with fresh PS fluid. Did the same on the brake fluid before starting the flush part. New cap and rotor.

Ran like a scalded cat! I was amazed at how peppy it now feels. Plugs were perfect color but cap and rotor seemed a little worn so I'm glad I did that. I also cleaned the road grime out of the coolant fins.

Here's how I do it. Cold radiator. Take a sprayer of Simple Green and fire it from the rear into the fins until they are soaked. You want to liquify the oily film that is settled in there over the years and that has grabbed dust as well. This is causing insulation that inhibits the shedding of heat. After the back face is soaked, do the same on the front, again starting from the top. Hit the trans cooler and oil cooler too. When the entire radiator is soaked and the fins are full, turn on a strong hose sprayer and start at the back and blow all those bugs lodged in the fins forward and out. In the process you will clean the fins right down to the paint or bare metal. Liberal rinsing is key. Now you have improved airflow, and the air is directly contacting the hot metal fins, and sucking heat out of them much more efficiently. I once measured A/C output before after and got a 7 degree cooler temp at the dash vents just from this. It's a freebie and I try to remember to do it once a year.

So, Lucy is ready to head out on the journey. I told my wife, I'd head for Mexico and S. American in her right now. It is remarkable how everything is holding up so well. I'm so proud of our tough Cruiser!

Last edited:
Damn Doug I wondered where in the heck you went! I still remember meeting you up in Idaho when I was taking my first Yellowstone trip with my son when he was 10, that was 8 years ago!! I got my LX in Oct of 97' and my son was born Jan of 98' and he too was brought home in the Cruiser!

Awesome post, I am 28, my first vehicle was an 88 fj62 that my dad sold me for $800 when I turned 16. I was driving the rig everytime we went offroad by the time I was 10. I wrecked that fj62 3 times through highschool and outrun the local sheriff's one night during a party on the mountain. Sadly one day when the 62 was in the shop I was driving the old man's 93 80. 3x locked cherry with 93000 miles and got in a really bad wreck. But true to the lc not one of the 3 stupid highschool kids got hurt. Fast forward ten years and I finally got another cruiser and got my dad another 80 also. Neither of us would trade our rigs for anything. There is no other vehicle that I trust enough to drive 200 miles offroad in extreme conditions. I always know I will get home and be safe in my rig plus the bonus that I can go pretty much anywhere I ever want makes the 80 series priceless. If I ever manage to get married and have kids the tradition will be continued.

Good to hear from you again Doug! Just curious, why install the winter tires before the trip? Seems like a bit of unnecessary wear. Also, is Scott (or other family) still in that area for any Cruiser care and feeding issues? The only thing I could think of that you didn't mention was the belt tensioner pulley--if you haven't replaced it yet, it is probably time. I'd also pre-fill the washer reservoir with the winter de-iceing-no freeze stuff.

Bunch of mind readers. Hey, so cool you guys are all still hanging around yakking about the world's stoutest vehicle. Thanks for checking in!! Feels nice.

So, the winter tires are on since I don't want her to have to mess around with having 4 huge tires to store somewhere in college. Plus, you know how it goes, right? I'd have her go to a tire shop for the changover and then the phone call the numbnuts snapped a stud, says its not his fault they all need replacing. Your head in your hands from 2000 miles away, blah, blah, wondering how much it costs to order a mob hit, etc. Less brain damage this way.

The wear of running on the freeway for 2000 miles is probably akin to 200 miles of city driving since there's no stop and go, turns and all the rest. I also think the new winter formulations and silica rubber does better than the old winter tires in dry wear. These are X-Ices and they brag about designing for mixed dry/wet/snow.

So, the Cruiser is literally humming along. I've got two vice grips blocking the heater hose, and I must say the A/C is cranking out ice cubes. I think we should seriously have someone design a simple water shutoff for summer. These things always get so warm from the hot water flow. It's not doing that now! And the a/c seems far stronger without dealing with the warm heater fighting it with the residual flow Toyota wants to prevent corrosion. OK, I can't turn the A/C temp up (it uses heater operation to do this), but turning the fan up or down helps control interior temp. Anyhow, a topic for another day.

A topic for right now is the expensive Bosch wipers I put on before leaving. They totally suck. I was looking forward to using them and got the first chance in 1000 miles tonight hitting bazillions of mosquitos in N. Dakota. Proudly flipped on the wipers as I mentioned to my wife I paid $17 each for these babies. Uh, cough. They skip worse than any blade on any vehicle I have ever seen. Gummed up the windshield in nothing flat. We had to pull into Jamestown, ND to get wipers at a WalMart. $5 Michelin blades. Instantly back to all business - carving off a pound of bugs an hour from then on. I have not seen bugs like that in decades. Anyhow, I will hand them to my stockist in Idaho at NAPA with a half ounce of bugs stuck all over them and get my money back. Disappointed.

Yes, thanks for remembering my family. My brother will be around to help out with anything needed in Michigan on the Cruiser, and I'm sure I can count on the assembled brethren here as well. We are fortunate to have some family around.

Sleeping in Fergus Falls tonight and headed out tomorrow through Madison, Chicago, Gary, and to Holland. Looking forward to being home and hoping to see the last of the lightning bugs if there are still a few out! Getting a steady 14-15mpg at a steady 75mph with the A/C, college gear and luggage X4.

That's a good call on the idler pulley. I think it's on its third one since new but that would have been wise to toss in the spares box.

Hope you are all having a safe week - will update.

Awesome read that I stumbled upon.
It is so nice to hear about Cruisers staying in the family, and to see it drive off to college. We were forced to sell the old FJ60 when the kids were little, and man I wish I had it back.
But more importantly, how's the daughter doing at school so far Doug?

Dang, this gave me goosebumps. I just found out my wife and I are expecting and we even talked about bring our little one home from the hospital in the cruiser. I hope I can write something like this in 18 years.
Congratulations

Cheers Idoug...I miss reading posts from the ol timers such as yourself.. stop by on MUD more often...:cheers:

Great read! My son came home from being born in our '95. He is now 13. The '92 unfortunately is Dads. But 16 is around the corner. I hope he wants a Cruiser too. In the time I left before he heads to high school and college we plan to have many adventures in the '92. My wife loves it too. Supposedly money cant buy happiness but in this case thier wrong. Thanks for the great story. It'll be me in a few years.

I just stumbled upon this as well.

Good to hear from you Doug. Reading this gave me goosebumps as well. We brought our first son home in my wife's 100 3 months ago.

Hard to believe it's been 13+ years since I joined 'mud. Good to see some of the OG guys still come around.

Nice to see some Michiganders check in. I grew up in Holland, and lived in the Detroit area after college so I'm a local. She is attending Hillsdale College, and we are pretty excited about that choice. She chose it based on its reputation, not its location. Patriotism and American values are the cornerstone, and they are immune from the "social experiment" requirements now clearly 100% in charge of our colleges. They do not accept even a whiff of Federal money, so they can offer a fabulous education rather than a watered down babysitting experience combined with social brainwashing as found on our campuses today. I hope that by the time many of your children are of college age this costly experiment is over.

We have a German student staying with us, and he is 15. His required classes are Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Language. Get on the website of your local high school and you will see our required stuff is social studies stuff with a bare minimum of any subject that requires an analytical mind.

Yes, these vehicles get in our blood. Her twin sister is also deeply entwined in the fabric of our family. I am trying to decide what spares I should send along with her. I will toss in the factory service manual, a NAPA Gold/Wix oil filter, and figure the rest I could easily carry on a plane if it needs replacements on my visit some day. Any thoughts on what you'd do here if your 80 was out of your care for 4 years?
I would get real buddy buddy with @dogfishlake ! Can't beat having a knowledgeable cruiser head close; especially one who has college aged daughters himself and can relate!

Didn't you buy a SYNCRO? Figured you were still working on it.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom