Odd symptom: ABS engages even with normal braking (post new brake job) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would... How often do you think your "dealership" works on an older 80? I know Ryan works on many 80s and he is specialized in 4x4 rigs...

Marco, I totally understand you're trying to help, but there are certain conveniences that this Toyota dealership offers. I'm all about building long term relationships so it's not as black and white as it seems. Norwalk has treated me well and my truck, too. There's more than meets the eye.

Should they not have this resolved by tomorrow, I'll pack up my bags and take it to Miyaki. I actually just got off the phone with Ryan. His shop seems to have a lot of flexibility to check out the ride during the weekdays. He even offered me a loaner car given how far I am from him. Appreciate the referral!

Marco, I totally understand you're trying to help, but there are certain conveniences that this Toyota dealership offers. I'm all about building long term relationships so it's not as black and white as it seems. Norwalk has treated me well and my truck, too. There's more than meets the eye.

Should they not have this resolved by tomorrow, I'll pack up my bags and take it to Miyaki. I actually just got off the phone with Ryan. His shop seems to have a lot of flexibility to check out the ride during the weekdays. He even offered me a loaner car given how far I am from him. Appreciate the referral!

Ben, I totally understanding where you are coming from. To me, dealership is always dealership, they are there for your business and it will always be that and nothing less, nothing more. Unless you are building a relationship with the shop mechanics, i would say you are better off spending your time and energy with a trusted shop or local mechanic who specialized offroad rigs . Ryan is a shop owner, and he is there for you because he is an "enthusiasts". Having an "enthusiasts" as a mechanic that works on offroading vehicles goes a long way because he is not only here for your business. but he is truly passionate about these cars. So to me, having a mechanic like him goes a long way, plus you can learn alot from him.

just my .2

Some of my most trusted and rewarding automotive partnerships have been ones I've met via car dealership. You treat people like an ATM and most likely you get what you put in due to the sheer volume of cars and faces that go in and out of the shop. This is no diff whether you're a Toyota franchise or independent shop. Both are for-profit businesses run by capitalist humans here on US soil.

Whether Norwalk finds a solution or not, I'll pay him a visit. Literally and figuratively.

I took a gamble and replaced the front ABS speed sensors which is sold as a pair. The rears are R and L and are on backorder so couldn't get it done. Pricey parts, but glad they're still being stocked by Toyota.

I changed the title of thread for a more accurate description of the issue. Still same symptoms.

unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed.jpg

I still have a functioning set of those wires and sensors if anyone needs them. The metal brackets that hold mine to the control arms look like they lived at the bottom of the ocean for a decade, but the wires and sensors are fine. Maybe @CYKBC could give you his old brackets.

Glad you solved the problem and kept it stock if you can have safe brakes.

I still have a functioning set of those wires and sensors if anyone needs them. The metal brackets that hold mine to the control arms look like they lived at the bottom of the ocean for a decade, but the wires and sensors are fine. Maybe @CYKBC could give you his old brackets.

Glad you solved the problem and kept it stock if you can have safe brakes.

Didn’t solve it ;(

This happened to me. Usually triggered JUST before coming to a complete stop.

Sometime metal shaving can accumulate on the ABC sensors. They are somewhat magnetic. Remove the front wheel, remove single 10mm bolt holding sensor in the top of the hub. Pull the sensor out, and wipe it off.

This happened to me. Usually triggered JUST before coming to a complete stop.

Sometime metal shaving can accumulate on the ABC sensors. They are somewhat magnetic. Remove the front wheel, remove single 10mm bolt holding sensor in the top of the hub. Pull the sensor out, and wipe it off.

Pretty much what I’m experiencing.

What are abc sensors? Per my pics above, aren’t we talking about the same part/fix? I replaced the front speed sensors and the entire wiring as it comes as one part. Didn’t get to replace the rear sensors yet as they’re back ordered.

Can you pull the fuse on the ABS and see if it brakes normally without the ABS active?

When a new problem occurs immediately after doing new work, odds are something was not done quite right. Best to check and recheck all the variables associated with the new work first, than chase gremlins from there.

First thing to do IMO is re-torque the wheel bearings, and not with the FSM method.
If you're dealership is doing the work, ask then to explain their process for setting wheel bearing preload

That is almost always magnetic debris on sensor(s), if so cleaning them off fixes the problem. Most times, harness or sensor(s) problems will set a code.

Pretty much what I’m experiencing.

What are abc sensors? Per my pics above, aren’t we talking about the same part/fix? I replaced the front speed sensors and the entire wiring as it comes as one part. Didn’t get to replace the rear sensors yet as they’re back ordered.

Not used to seeing the ABS sensors upside down, or brand new, but those look like the sensors.

I'll keep the thread updated on what I find for future reference. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I'm debating whether I should even spend the money to replace the rear sensors just for peace of mind. It's just a really nagging braking issue that cropped up after having resolved the brake squealing annoyance.

Interestingly, no codes thrown thus far.

Not used to seeing the ABS sensors upside down, or brand new, but those look like the sensors.

The new sensors and wiring look really out of place without the original’s 22 years worth of organic road debris camo. Haha

I had the same issue a while back. I pulled my ABS fuse and the problem went away. Curious to see what the fix is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom