Odd Rear Brake Shoe/Drum Size - '79 BJ41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought OEM FJ/BJ brake shoe replacements that don't fit my backing plate and drum on my '79 BJ41. The ones I'm removing (brake lining popped off one of the shoes) are wider than OEM (3 inches wide, drum is around 3.25 inches) and the center hole where the pin comes through the backing plate is lower on the old shoe. Disregard the second small center hole I drilled in the new OEM shoe (bad idea).

Does anyone know where I can find replacement shoes in the U.S. like the old one in my pic? I believe I see some on a couple Australian sites but not seeing anything nearly identical elsewhere. Thank you!!

shoes.jpg

shoes 2.jpg

This may be OEM part 04494-60020 (front brake shoe). Any insights/thoughts still appreciated.

Was it originally imported from South America? You might try looking up non-US parts.

BJ41 was available in JDM.

Rear shoes show being 04494-60010 with 04494-60011 as a sub. Front is 04494-60020 with 04494-60021 as sub. Partsoug shows aftermarket available in limited quantities.

These are the heavy duty brakes never offered in the US. I sold the late seventies full floater I had in favor 8/80+ rear full floater axles that share the same brake components as the 60 series.

BJ41 was available in JDM.

Rear shoes show being 04494-60010 with 04494-60011 as a sub. Front is 04494-60020 with 04494-60021 as sub. Partsoug shows aftermarket available in limited quantities.

These are the heavy duty brakes never offered in the US. I sold the late seventies full floater I had in favor 8/80+ rear full floater axles that share the same brake components as the 60 series.
Much appreciated. I now see a bunch that look promising but I'll need to speak with sellers to confirm that they're the heavy duty version.

Much appreciated. I now see a bunch that look promising but I'll need to speak with sellers to confirm that they're the heavy duty version.

What I like about PartSouq is when you look up Toyota's OEM parts number is where you find the aftermarket options.

Do your front and rear brake drums have ribs for cooling like this front axle?
P1050859 (1).JPG

The back axle a full floater?

What I like about PartSouq is when you look up Toyota's OEM parts number is where you find the aftermarket options.

Do your front and rear brake drums have ribs for cooling like this front axle?
View attachment 2996592
The back axle a full floater?
How did you find a pic of my Cruiser :)? My back axle is semi-floating I believe. I almost pulled the trigger buying new shoes internationally but found them on Cruiserparts.net, which clearly described them as "Non-U.S." and 3 inches wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom