odd new shoe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...interesting...not sure how I'd feel about having vibram between my toes...

I have a friend that thru hiked the AT last year in those. He loved them. He said that they helped keep foot rot down.

I have a pair and absolutely love them. Mine are the KSO. The vibram sole doesn't actually go between your toes, it's just cut where your toes go and the fabric comes up around your toes.

I wear them around town, hiking, etc. They are like going barefoot (which I love to do) with a little added protection. I get lots of comments on them, all good so far (even TSA agents liked them).

Go on get a pair. They're very comfy... :D

If they worked I'd try them, but doesn't seem they offer much protection or support.

Anyone ever see that Married with Children episode where Al copies God's shoes and sells them? If only they made those in gold
God's shoe.jpg

:lol: Yeah I remember those shoes. Who knows maybe that was the inspiration. :rolleyes:

As far as how well they work... they work great for what they were designed for. They offer enough protection to be comfortable over rocks, yes it is a thin layer of Vibram rubber but it is enough IMO. And no they do not offer padding or support, this is what makes them so great. If you read about them you will find that they are designed to let your foot and body move naturally, some find they have to ease into this as you use muscles that shoes do not allow you to.

I still have very sturdy mountaineering boots for packing heavy loads over rough terrain, as well as dress shoes, etc. But I find the VFFs are great for light hiking, running, water sports, general use...

I will say that if you do not like going barefoot... this is not the shoe for you. They're kind of like a modern moccasin :D

Any one else??? Or am I the only oddball that has these here??

Yep, you seem to be the only oddball around. :D Although I admit I had a pair of teal/zebra stripe Air Carnivores when I was younger, and I loved them.

When I first saw these I was thikning they'd make a great camp shoe while backpacking, but I'm not willing to shell out the $80. Aside from the funky looks, what advantages does this have over say, a slip on water shoe? Does having individual toes really make a difference, and does it have any arch support or is it just a flat sole? Do your feet hurt at all from the lack of padding? I wouldn't mind trying one out in person, but the only store selling them in my area is an hour away.

Hmmm… I guess this isn’t the first time. But it sounds like you have some of that in your veins too :D

Yeah, I would agree they are a bit pricey to use just as camp shoes. Having individual toes does make a noticeable difference. With regular shoes (including water socks) the two itty bitty toes on the end have a tendency to be cramped in with the others, this makes a difference in how your foot works. Even going barefoot a lot you don’t get the small toes stretched out to where they should be, the VFF make your foot stretch out to where it should be. This is noticeable when you first try them on as you have to try to get the toes into each individual pocket.

There is no arch support, but it is not just a flat piece of rubber it wraps around your foot and is quite close fitting. I actually have high arches and need a significant amount of arch support in a shoe, but with the VFF my foot moves naturally and I do not require arch support (think going barefoot). And the only time I have missed padding is when I have to stand on concrete for extended periods of time… but I’m not a fan of cushy shoes anyway (whatever that’s worth :meh:).

Personally, when I first tried them on I did not want to take them off… but I had to in order to get the color I wanted. Also something to keep in mind :hmm:, although not supported by Vibram, is that you can “custom fit” them to a certain extent. I wanted them to fit snugly when I purchased them, but the right foot was a bit too snug. I used a blow drier to heat up the toes and stretch the right shoe to fit better, this can also be done to fit for Morton’s toe. Others have had success using a clothes iron, the biggest concern is not heating up the glue too much.

Hope that helps. :cheers:

If they worked I'd try them, but doesn't seem they offer much protection or support.

Anyone ever see that Married with Children episode where Al copies God's shoes and sells them? If only they made those in gold

lol... man that is from right field, but seriously funny. How in the hell did you remember that episode? My memory is shot.

My nephew mentioned them over the weekend and I thought of this thread. I haven't seen a pic of them yet. Who is the manufacturer?

Edit: Opps...missed Beaufort's link

Vibram is the manufacturer... you know, the ones who make the rubber soles that are used on so many hiking and work boots. Anyway, This is their first product marketed directly to the public.

$85 ?! seriously? ca'mon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom