odd head gasket from felpro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i am getting my new 2F/3FE head combo together, one piece at a time, and this weekend, i was anticipating getting the head bolted up.

in putting the gasket on, i didnt see a 'this side up' mark, so i flipped the gasket a time or two to make sure i had it aligned correctly. when i got the lifter galley side lined up correctly, i checked the rest of the holes near the pistons to make sure it was good to go.

unfortunately, about a third of the holes were blocked by the gasket! no hole in the gasket at all, not even a stamping pattern. if it was just one hole, i wouldnt have been so suprised. but it was multiple holes, and most of the big ones on the passenger side of the block. :doh:

the gasket came out of a felpro rebuild gasket kit... anybody else have this problem? whose gasket did you get for a replacement?

TIA

If I remember correctly, Mine was the same way and it is correct.... Lets wait for a few more opinions though....

Are you using a 3fe head gasket? Some of the holes will be plugged by the gasket.

2F gasket kit, which is why it baffled me so much. I expeced a few changes with a 3FE gasket, but even some of the holes on the 3FE head were blocked... ????

i considered trimming out the holes on the gasket but changed my mind thinking i might damage the gasket such that it would not hold a seal. since the water jacket shouldnt be under much pressure, would i be able to get away with cutting the holes with an xacto knife without setting myself up for disaster?

When I did my HG on my 85 I believe some of the holes were blocked. I think this has to do with flow. I wouldn't go punching new holes in the HG. Just make sure you have the HG on the right way. There should be some gasket material overhanging towards the back of the motor. Don't forget to retorque after some miles.

Here is a quote from 60wag on another thread.

The water passages blocked by the gasket is normal. The passages are there to remove the core sand when casting the head. Restrictions in the gasket are used to direct coolant flow for optimal cooling.

I punched out the blocked holes when I replaced my HG. It runs pretty cool now, this might have something to do with it. I have zero overheating issues. This was two years ago.

on another thread,

It's normal for the head gasket to cover one or two of the holes on the head.

one or two, ok. but, say, 6-7? the biggest holes are the ones that are covered...

keep those opinions coming! ;)

i studied the situation again last night. my logic came up with the idea that most of the holes should be covered. if they werent, coolant wouldnt cycle all the way through the block and then back up through the head. covering the holes would promote complete block circulation, and i would think that would provide more thorough cooling.

but, then again, that would promote a cooler block in front, and a warm head in front. if these engines were much higher efficiency, wouldnt that cause performance issues between cylinders 1 and 6? i would guess cylinder 6 would have a very even temperature, head and block, than cylinder 1, which would have a cooler block and a much warmer head... thoughts?

Could you take a pic? That sounds kinda funny to me.

just fyi, both myself and a friend have not had luck with felpro gaskets. both had issues with them blowing. went oem and she hasn't had issues since. (i sold the rig as a parts rig years ago because i kept blowing the gasket after 6-12 mos).

I agree with nuclearlemon. Spend the money on an OEM gasket. It's worth the extra cash. I might be wrong but shouldn't you be using a 3fe head gasket? Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

hmmm... i wonder what gaskets mark W and FJ40Jim are running... i thought i remember them recommending them.

i wont be able to take any pics tonight, it will have to wait until sunday. i bolted up the head thinking it must just be the way to go. i will look into the OEM stuff. i would rather do it right, once.

i was under the impression that the 3FE and 2F head gaskets were interchangeable. CruiserDan?

and low and behold, the 2F and 3FE water pumps are different too.... ack.

I don't know if they are interchangeable but when I read the article Arron Thompson wrote in Toyota Trails, he used a 3fe head gasket. If you need a 2f water pump I think I have one laying around in my garage and it is fairly new.

I did a lot of research before doing the HG on my 60. I went with the OEM HG (valve regrind kit) from CDan and the FELPRO for the exhaust/intake manifolds. Got 250 miles on her now and will retorque before anymore. SO far so good. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom