Odd electrical behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
For over a year the electrical system in my FJ60, stock alternator on 2F, has had a pulse in voltage while at idle. Along with the pulsing the charge and brake light would illuminate and a relay in the passenger side can be heard clicking. At rpm > 1500 or so the electrical pulsing is eliminated.

Today I installed an extra wire from the alternator to the battery, 12 ga with a 2 cm section of 14 ga fusible link. Voltage on the stock and Autometer gauges now registers higher plus the pulsing is more noticeable and remains until rpm is > 2 k.

This is annoying but does not appear to be damaging since this has been ongoing for over a year. Any electrical wizards want to offer up advice?

I ain't no wizard, but the easiest test would be to replace the voltage regulator., though I doubt that's the problem. Toyota still sells a remanufacured VR. It's good to have a spare VR anyway. If that doesn't fix the funkiness, you know what will.

Yeah my vote is a alternator problem. Nothing else should be causing a pulse in energy.

I agree with @red66toy, I don't see any other reason why it would be pulsing make sure it gets a new regulator as well.
When I bought my alternator from Toyota it didn't come with a regulator but the old one was working fine.

Still. They make wrenching that much more exciting and adrenaline pumping. ;)
I tend to not disconnect my battery when I do the valve lash... took me just a few times making sparks w/ wrench handle on my alt nut to the pos post to teach me to be more aware of what’s close to me.

So do you have a picture of it cut open and its filthy broken guts exposed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom