Odd door lock issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright so I pulled the drivers door lock today, cleaned the sensor and the lock cylinder and then put a smear of white lithium on the sensor ring and the back side of the lock cylinder (where the sensor interacts with the lock).

Put everything back together, locked the doors and let it sit for a couple hours while I did other stuff. Went out and used the fob to open the doors and it DIDN'T set off the alarm. So looks like it is definitely the drivers door lock sensor. Will see how long it lasts before it starts to wig out again. IF that does happen, then I know that the lock sensor is having issues and I will toss in the new one that I have.

Alright so I pulled the drivers door lock today, cleaned the sensor and the lock cylinder and then put a smear of white lithium on the sensor ring and the back side of the lock cylinder (where the sensor interacts with the lock).

Put everything back together, locked the doors and let it sit for a couple hours while I did other stuff. Went out and used the fob to open the doors and it DIDN'T set off the alarm. So looks like it is definitely the drivers door lock sensor. Will see how long it lasts before it starts to wig out again. IF that does happen, then I know that the lock sensor is having issues and I will toss in the new one that I have.

Hey that's great news!

@gregnash is this the part you have? I’m planning to clean mine too at some point, but would like to have the part on hand just in case.

B6EB314A-7D21-454C-A216-810477BFA023.png

@gregnash is this the part you have? I’m planning to clean mine too at some point, but would like to have the part on hand just in case.

View attachment 2512146
There are actually two part numbers... That one is for the passenger side I believe. When you pull the door apart you will see that the drivers side is a more yellow/beige color and the passenger is white (If I remember correctly.)

There are actually two part numbers... That one is for the passenger side I believe. When you pull the door apart you will see that the drivers side is a more yellow/beige color and the passenger is white (If I remember correctly.)
Thank you!

I'm wondering if my lock problem is related? My doors will all lock via the key fob or by using the lock button on the driver's door but they will not unlock. This started happening a few days ago, then went away and now has returned. Going to pull and clean that little sensor and see if that helps. Oddly I can hear the lock actuator click in the tailgate when I hit the unlock button on the key but nothing happens.

Well, my gremlin is still playing in there, removed driver’s side panel, handle, sensor, cleaned everything with electrical cleaner and greased with dielectric paste, put everything back and a couple hours later it was locking and unlocking by itself.
I’ll try the passenger side when I get the time..

The weird thing is that it will do it all the time. Even while the car is running, idling, and me sitting with the belt off, but it won’t when the belt is clicked, thinking it might be something in the seatbelt system?...

Any inputs will be appreciated, since it’s annoying finding the car unlocked in the middle of the night.

Since I got the Ring camera thing in my doorbell I’m getting a bunch of neighborhood alerts of people searching for unlocked cars around. I’m not keeping anything valuable inside the car, but the feeling of having your property violated is awful..

Well, my gremlin is still playing in there, removed driver’s side panel, handle, sensor, cleaned everything with electrical cleaner and greased with dielectric paste, put everything back and a couple hours later it was locking and unlocking by itself.
I’ll try the passenger side when I get the time..

The weird thing is that it will do it all the time. Even while the car is running, idling, and me sitting with the belt off, but it won’t when the belt is clicked, thinking it might be something in the seatbelt system?...

Any inputs will be appreciated, since it’s annoying finding the car unlocked in the middle of the night.

Since I got the Ring camera thing in my doorbell I’m getting a bunch of neighborhood alerts of people searching for unlocked cars around. I’m not keeping anything valuable inside the car, but the feeling of having your property violated is awful..

So when mine was at its worst it was doing this... sitting at a stop sign/light, driving on the city roads, driving on the highway, in the parking lot, in my driveway, didn't matter. Hence why I had gone back and forth on both. It was only have I have cleaned both that it seems to have finally gone away (knock on wood) with the last cleaning being the drivers side. So I don't know if it is just that it was finally getting all the muck out or what. Now I DIDN'T use dielectric grease on mine, instead I used white lithium paste grease (not spray) and that was the last time because previously I had been using standard 3-in-1 lock cleaner/lube after the electrical contact cleaner. Don't know if the cleaner/lube was the culprit for me or not, but has been close to two months with a large variation in weather/temp since without issue.

Revisiting this thread as I plan to order a driver’s side door switch/sensor ASAP; the alarm blaring after unlocking my door(s) is killing me. Can anyone confirm that the driver’s side part number is actually the passenger side? The driver’s side PN is 84903-60020 (white), the passenger side is 84903-60010 (yellow/off white). I’ve been searching and it seems that @gregnash agrees that the part numbers are reversed. Just want to get confirmation before I order. Thanks in advance
1611899836022.png

1611900026666.jpeg

Ok so you cleaned the sensor well with electrical contact cleaner and then put some sort of grease like white lithium paste on it? Did you clean the sensors on both sides?
I ended up cleaning both and so far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues in months. Mind you I went through that process of cleaning both drivers and passenger side multiple times...

Part of my issue I believe is my passenger lock cylinder. I went to try and open the door with the key the other day (manually) and the cylinder didn't want to turn. I had this before so I know not to futz with it as I think it gets the sensor out of alignment or something. I have the fob working so its all good as the only time I need to use the key (manually) is when the truck is running but everything is locked (remote start).

In that case I just walk to the rear door or the drivers and double-tap to unlock everything.

Ok so you cleaned the sensor well with electrical contact cleaner and then put some sort of grease like white lithium paste on it? Did you clean the sensors on both sides?
I ended up cleaning both and so far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues in months. Mind you I went through that process of cleaning both drivers and passenger side multiple times...

Part of my issue I believe is my passenger lock cylinder. I went to try and open the door with the key the other day (manually) and the cylinder didn't want to turn. I had this before so I know not to futz with it as I think it gets the sensor out of alignment or something. I have the fob working so its all good as the only time I need to use the key (manually) is when the truck is running but everything is locked (remote start).

In that case I just walk to the rear door or the drivers and double-tap to unlock everything.
I haven’t even attempted to clean it yet, to be honest. Was just planning on buying a new sensor and calling it a day. I might just buy both sides and change them out so I (hopefully) won’t have to worry about looking like a car thief ever again

Yeah I did the same thing thinking that they were definitely on the way out and didn't want to run into the issue of them being unobtainium when the time came and I REALLY needed them. But at this point (knock on wood) I have not had any issues in months. So I would highly recommend getting in there and cleaning them thoroughly and then greasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom