Odd door lock issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive ran into several door lock issues with my 100 series. I replaced all four door lock actuators about a year ago. Recently I turned the vehicle off, exited and closed the door. I heard the doors lock on their own.

I tried to unlock the door w the key and it would not unlock. Finally after many tries on all the keyed doors including tail gate with no luck I had to call someone to Jimmy the door.

After playing with it a few times it would have this issue half the time and not have the issue the other half. I unplugged the driver door switch and have had zero issues. Obviously that is a quick fix but the real issue is not solved.

Anyone had a similar experience or know where I should even start here?

Sounds like the master switch or the wiring by the door hinges are messed up.

There are door lock/unlock relays (check the FSM for location). The switches actually power the relays, not the actuators directly.
There are three?, also if I remember correctly, that do left and right sides. If the unlock relay is bad, that could be your issue.

This would be my first place I would look along with the master switch.

I have an issue with my lock (still) where they like to lock on their own. I believe that mine has something to do with the sensor on the passenger side as I have noticed, even with the motor replacement, that that manual switch doesn't always completely move. I think I am going to have to replace the full assembly on that door, but at $100+ for the aftermarket seeing as the OEM is no longer available, I am a bit hesitant. I do have new sensors but have not replaced them yet.

I have an issue with my lock (still) where they like to lock on their own. I believe that mine has something to do with the sensor on the passenger side as I have noticed, even with the motor replacement, that that manual switch doesn't always completely move. I think I am going to have to replace the full assembly on that door, but at $100+ for the aftermarket seeing as the OEM is no longer available, I am a bit hesitant. I do have new sensors but have not replaced them yet.
There are door lock/unlock relays (check the FSM for location). The switches actually power the relays, not the actuators directly.
There are three?, also if I remember correctly, that do left and right sides. If the unlock relay is bad, that could be your issue.

I'll give those a check this weekend. Ive seen this before now that you mention it.

Interested in the outcome of this thread.
Got a similar issue last week after lots of rain in FL, the driver’s door wouldn’t unlock, not even with the key in the door. Luckily the passenger door unlocked itself during the night and was able to manually open the driver side.
Had the gremlins since I got my 05 LC a couple of years ago, sometimes it just actuate the locks by itself, even tens of times a minute, mostly when idling and sitting in the driver’s seat with the belt off.. motors work good, remote working, just don’t know if I’ll find it locked or unlocked in the morning...

I had a spare driver switch i would have tried. I recently moved and it was lost in the move.

Interested in the outcome of this thread.
Got a similar issue last week after lots of rain in FL, the driver’s door wouldn’t unlock, not even with the key in the door. Luckily the passenger door unlocked itself during the night and was able to manually open the driver side.
Had the gremlins since I got my 05 LC a couple of years ago, sometimes it just actuate the locks by itself, even tens of times a minute, mostly when idling and sitting in the driver’s seat with the belt off.. motors work good, remote working, just don’t know if I’ll find it locked or unlocked in the morning...

My issues haven't been that serious. I do tell ya its no fun having to run around w doors always unlocked out of fear ill be locked out. Ill check the relays and post any findings

Kids getting locked inside is what worried me last week. Before that it was just the fact that the doors unlock themselves, but not being able to open the door is a serious one..

Kids getting locked inside is what worried me last week. Before that it was just the fact that the doors unlock themselves, but not being able to open the door is a serious one..
This is why I have a spare in one of those magnetic boxes attached to my frame. I had that happen with my dogs on two different occasions as we were leaving the dog park. Usually get there and just leave the back open (music playing) and a couple times without thinking I just got everyone in and then closed the back only to find the doors locked. Phone was inside the car too so would have been me walking home (little over a mile) to get a spare and then back. So DEFINITELY worth it to have a spare in one of those hide-a-key boxes somewhere...

I had the same issues and it drove me nuts. It also started locking and unlocking as I drove. My issue was a dirty driver door lock sensor. It's a small off-white plastic piece with two wires coming out of it and it sits on the back of the lock cylinder. Opened it up and cleaned it out with electronic cleaner and added new grease. No more phantom horn honking and door locks actuating on their own.

It’s the first I hear about this sensor you’ve mentioned.
I’ll get to it as soon as I have time and report back.
Thanks!!!

I had the same issues and it drove me nuts. It also started locking and unlocking as I drove. My issue was a dirty driver door lock sensor. It's a small off-white plastic piece with two wires coming out of it and it sits on the back of the lock cylinder. Opened it up and cleaned it out with electronic cleaner and added new grease. No more phantom horn honking and door locks actuating on their own.
See that is what I thought mine was too because I cleaned both sides and had happiness for about 2-3wks with no issues. Then it started happening again.

You say you added grease? But to what and where? At this point I have taken the door panels off enough times that I can probably be in and out of my doors in less than a half hour.

Thanks!!!
Note that the easiest way to get the sensor off is to remove the outer door handle (two bolts on the inside of the doorskin) and then unclip as you pull the handle assembly with lock cylinder out. While you are there might as well clean the lock cylinder and lube it too, you won't have an easier and more apparent time.

See that is what I thought mine was too because I cleaned both sides and had happiness for about 2-3wks with no issues. Then it started happening again.

You say you added grease? But to what and where? At this point I have taken the door panels off enough times that I can probably be in and out of my doors in less than a half hour.

I can't remember exactly, but when I opened it up there was grease in a certain part of it. After cleaning it with contact cleaner I replaced the greased that was cleaned off.

If it solved your issues for a few weeks, maybe you can just swap them out for new sensors. The contacts do get worn down. Also, I may have slightly bent the contacts to provide a more positive contact pressure to the surface but I can't remember.

Thanks!!!

Looks like this one from a Camry:
s-l640.jpg

I can't remember exactly, but when I opened it up there was grease in a certain part of it. After cleaning it with contact cleaner I replaced the greased that was cleaned off.

If it solved your issues for a few weeks, maybe you can just swap them out for new sensors. The contacts do get worn down. Also, I may have slightly bent the contacts to provide a more positive contact pressure to the surface but I can't remember.

Oh so you are talking on the lock cylinder not necessarily on the sensor itself. I was thinking maybe you were talking about like dielectric grease or something. Yeah I have spares (new OEM) that I purchased from Partsouq but I am trying to save those for a last resort approach.

Oh so you are talking on the lock cylinder not necessarily on the sensor itself. I was thinking maybe you were talking about like dielectric grease or something. Yeah I have spares (new OEM) that I purchased from Partsouq but I am trying to save those for a last resort approach.

IIRC there was grease inside the sensor/switch. You unclip it from the cylinder and then open it up. I think there's a metal ring inside that the contacts rotate around. I remember regreasing something inside there. It wasn't dielectric grease... it was tan in color. I think it was on a rotating friction surface? Or it might have been on an o-ring. I think I used white lithium grease. Sorry my memory of it isn't that great... I did it once and it fixed it so I never revisited.

IIRC there was grease inside the sensor/switch. You unclip it from the cylinder and then open it up. I think there's a metal ring inside that the contacts rotate around. I remember regreasing something inside there. It wasn't dielectric grease... it was tan in color. I think it was on a rotating friction surface? Or it might have been on an o-ring. I think I used white lithium grease. Sorry my memory of it isn't that great... I did it once and it fixed it so I never revisited.

Huh.... ok I don't remember seeing any grease of any sort when I had mine apart. May have to give it another go soon and see what I can come up with. Have both white lithium and dielectric so maybe I will try one and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom