Odd activity in my LX470's gauge cluster (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
Just yesterday half-way through a road trip, my speedometer stopped working. I did a battery reset and some quick googling at a gas station and couldn't find much with the LX cluster besides this: 2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To

What I'm seeing is all of the gauges flutter when I first turn they key (sometimes they'll make the full sweep, sometimes they don't) but eventually, shortly after ignition, everyone pops into correct position except the speedometer.

I thought it could be my new yellowbox module, but disconnected it tonight and no change. My odometer and trip meters work (saw this asked in other threads) as does my cruise control. What's odd to me is that there's movement in the speedo needle when I turn the key, if only a little flutter like the others. So there's power to it, and for whatever reason it's just not reading on the cluster.

Is this a possible speed sensor issue? Am I going to be stuck tearing this cluster apart to fix this thing?

I'm sure you've already tried this, but I thought all my sensors were going out and it turned out to just be loose connectors between the clusters and the dash behind it.

Hopefully it's that simple. Looks like that will be the next step in diagnosing. I've been reading tonight in preparation for action when I have sunlight tomorrow. The last time I had to pull a cluster, I ended up with new problems so if I can mitigate that potential, great.

I pulled my cluster tonight following this video :

Connections are as tight/secure as I can get them. I tightened the silver screws snug and was able to see all of the idiot lights on the dash. The speedo needle has power and light, and there is a flicker of movement at start up. I can rule out connection and fuses. Other things to look into might be the motor, or speed sensor..?

I had a similar experience with my oil pressure gauge. Took the cluster out and moved the oil pressure needle manually. Put it back together and it worked..... For a bit. Seems cold mornings kill it. I've looked through dchilds thread about replacing the stepper motor, but not attempted it yet.

2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To

Last edited:
That's a good read. I was trying to avoid getting that far into it.

Funny enough, the speedometer worked this morning when I left for work. So, idk... Self healing car?

That's a good read. I was trying to avoid getting that far into it.

Funny enough, the speedometer worked this morning when I left for work. So, idk... Self healing car?

I have this same exact problem in my ‘05 LC. Sometimes no issues. Sometimes dead tach but everything else is ok. Sometimes temp and other gauges flutter then spring to life but tach remains dead. I can hear some noise from the gauge cluster when I enter the vehicle like a short buzzing sound. I purchased new steppers per @dchilds post and hope to put them in this weekend and will report back. I did read in his thread from another poster that the steppers for the LX are different than the LC though.

Last edited:
Luckily mine started working again. For now I'm safe from having to replace the motors but thank you for posting. Will be a great future reference!

Could it be the yellow box? Water in the connections that dried up later, perhaps? IIRC you installed it under the truck—something to consider, I guess.

That was my first thought, and my first check as it was also the easiest to rule out. I disconnected the yellowbox and plugged back in the OEM connections and found no change. I also looked into the baggie I sealed it in and it was still nice and dry and right where I'd zip tied it, so all was well.

For those who may have trouble with the yellow box, they all come with a 10 year warranty so getting it fixed should be a non-issue. I lucked out and had a fix here with no down-time and no money so I'm content.

I had the same problem with the Oil temp Gauge but i ignored it but then the fuel gauge gave out and I knew that it was the start of the end of the instrument cluster. I tried making sure all the connections were proper but after reassembly it effectively gave up life. Nothing works now, no lights no dials moving no nothing, i think one of the connections is stripped or something of that kind. I'm gonna double check everything of course but I asked a friend and he said that its usually Fuse 22, that is considering that you didn't strip the connections for your wires as I think i have have. (from what i understand fuse 22 controls the bonger sound when you leave the key in the ignition so if u can't hear the bonger sound then it's probably that) although in my case that didn't make a difference. Either way hope this helps someone else.
also for anyone who doesn't know how to undo the instrument cluster this video is great

As time has gone on, my speedometer has degraded to the point of working rarely. I excitedly let my fiancee know if it worked during the day.

My voltage gauge is also now failing intermittently. Pretty sure the fix is going to be having the cluster rebuilt by Tanin.

My speedo worked just fine, it was off by 10 KM/H but if I'm honest i got used to it after a month or so. All the side gauges worked intermittently, i used to say "they work when they find the weather nice" (the weather is never nice here).

As time has gone on, my speedometer has degraded to the point of working rarely. I excitedly let my fiancee know if it worked during the day.

My voltage gauge is also now failing intermittently. Pretty sure the fix is going to be having the cluster rebuilt by Tanin.
Have you done something uptill now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom