OD Transmission options for 2F & F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drive a 79 fj40 with the stock engine (im not swapping unless for another toyota engine), its my only car. I really want an overdrive transmission, I do a lot of driving on the highway but I cant justify spending over $2,000 on an Aussie 5 speed.

What options are there for a later model (probably domestic) 5 speed overdrive, and a low 1st gear is a bonus (can an NV4500 be put behind a 2F?).

What is the automatic like that they put behind the 3FE, is it a 4 speed od? How strong is it? Are there any options for building it up (like increasing line pressure etc)
Are there any other automatics that could be run behind a 2F that arent too long?

I would like to run a split case if possible (arent they stronger and quieter?)

Thanks for your input
Peace Out

If you got the coin, I would go with the NV4500 I looked at doing it in my 40 behind my 2f and it gets expensive pretty quick. Adavanced Adapters sells the stuff you need to bolt it up.

And yeah, the split cases are a bit stronger, you could also get an overdrive/torque spliter. I think Fairy makes them... anyone? But if you got the means, the nv 4500 is the way to go. Lower first, like a granny gear, and 27% overdrive.

Drew <><

PS I got a split case if you need one.

I have the Fairy overdrive with my F engine and 3 speed. It helps out in many occasions with the long stretch between gears on hills and trails. And of course makes highway driving much better. I didn't think they made them anymore but I've occasionally seen them around for sale on various web sites. If I had the money though, I would go with the NV4500 as well, and sell you my Fairy overdrive.

Don't confuse drivers orientation with his overdrive.

not that there is anything wrong with that! ;)

troy

Any idea how much length an NV4500 would add compared to stock 4speed/tcase. I already have my rear springs flipped (+3" wheelbase). I dont want a really short rear shaft.

NV4500s cost around $1200 or so dont they. The cost might end up being comperable to an aussie with adaptors and everything.

Running the 4 speed auto might be a better solution costwise.
I am a college student so this mod might not take place until I graduate.

Peace Out

Ranger also has a OD for your 2f/4speed combo, Advanced Adapters sells it.

but what ever you do it's not prolly gonna be cheap. driveshafts need to be shortend/lenghtend, ect ect

the tranny(A440F) behind the 3fe is beefy but also long, and you would have to use the t-case that comes with it. Me i think this would be a neat set up, but prolly not really feasible..would end up with a really

the H55F land cruiser 5 speed will need a split case and will not come out the same spot in the trany cover(unless you can find the OEM parts to make it.....which you can't)

how about some taller tires? if you have room to fit them then this is gonna be the cheapest OD solution, yeah you loose some low end but I run 33s with 3.70 gears, 2f and stock trany and love it.

[quote author=Toyoland66 link=board=1;threadid=11253;start=msg102107#msg102107 date=1076364793]
Any idea how much length an NV4500 would add compared to stock 4speed/tcase. I already have my rear springs flipped (+3" wheelbase). I dont want a really short rear shaft.

NV4500s cost around $1200 or so dont they. The cost might end up being comperable to an aussie with adaptors and everything.

Running the 4 speed auto might be a better solution costwise.
I am a college student so this mod might not take place until I graduate.

Peace Out
[/quote]

NV4500+Toyota 6+Toyota t-case= short rear shaft.

You will spend more than your 2K making a NV fit it your truck, and end up with a very, very short rear shaft. If you are really set on having a 5spd, a Toy unit would be the best option, and they have a 4.9 or 4.7 1st gear, which would be a great improvement over the 3.5 you currently have.

If it is your only mode of transport, either get a cheap beater, and take the truck down, or slowly aquire parts, and when you have the new trans, and all the other goodies that you will need, clutch disc, cover, TO bearing pilot bearing, crossmember for supporting that trans, etc., and do it then.

Good luck!

-Steve

the H55F/split case is going to be as cost effective as anything once you factor in the total deal. the only cheaper option would be a lucky find on something like the fairy OD or a swap to 3:70 r&p.

Already have 3.70 gears......

Already Have 33's......

I forgot to mention my tranny/t-case (Used replacements) are not too ideal. Theyre loud, the tranny sometimes wont shift to 2nd when its hot......I want it out of there, and it sounds to me like the H55f/Split case is the way to go.

Heres a question for some....
My sister MIGHT be going to australia on an exchange program, what would my odds be if having her find a 5 speed/case used down there. How much might it cost and how about the freight& customs. Does anyone in US do rebuilds that arent hella expensive, or better yet a rebuild kit.

Thanks Again

I have a bolt on overdrive that gets attached to the transfer case. I had used it for 2 years without any problems (other than a pesky slow oil leak - probably my fault because I made a gasket). I have removed it and don't have a use for it anymore. It is not a Fairey. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out who the manufacturer was (a cover plate says I think "Advanced 4WD" on it).
I can give you some more info if you are interested.

You can install the overdrive in the driveway if you need to (you have to take the transfer case off though), it's not too tough.

Good luck...

Hard to make this type of extensive change to the driveline for low bucks. If this is your daily driver, I would save my money for the H55F and split case combo. I made this change to my 60, and the road performance is WAY better than the stock four speed.

There are H55F five speeds available used from time to time, and a new one can be bought for about $1800. You will still have to make some mods to the drive tran, but you'll be running all Toyota gear - a good thing, I think.

YES I have considered a diesel, the 2H is 4 cylinder non turbo?

I am located in Colorado, am I reading your ad correctly that the engine doesn't work?

The setup that I really want to do is the hybrid 2F with a 3FE head, and control it with a megasquirt computer. I wonder how hard it is to find a 85 -newer 2F shortblock........I'll keep dreaming.

Peace Out

2H=6cyl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom