October 5 Meeting - Shop day and Grill out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know i never miss a meeting! 2 Dawgs please!

FUBARED Reply 🖕

Dropped my truck off at my indy this week to look over what ended up being a blown rear axle seal. Provided I can break it out of his place today or first thing in the morning, I'm still good to go tomorrow. I've got new front diff bushings I'd love to get in if anyone is willing to wrench on an IFS truck.

Dropped my truck off at my indy this week to look over what ended up being a blown rear axle seal. Provided I can break it out of his place today or first thing in the morning, I'm still good to go tomorrow. I've got new front diff bushings I'd love to get in if anyone is willing to wrench on an IFS truck.

rear axles seals are a 1-2 banana job.

I’m out for tomorrow men. Crazy week at work and just can’t fathom getting up another day and driving into Atlanta. Y’all have fun. Sorry I’ll be the poopie pants beans.

Just heard from indy- he's gotta pull the bearing to replace the inner axle seal and doesn't have the tool to do it. Tool guy is on vacation until Thursday. Do we think this might be a fun project to play with vs the diff bushings?

20191004_182559_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
rear axles seals are a 1-2 banana job.

Seals yes, but if (as noted) the bearing has to come off, then this goes from 1 banana to about 10 bananas.... If it is anything like the GX, the retainer needs something like 50 tons to press off, it WILL destroy the bearing in the process and to press the new ones on takes a special jig.

It may not be like the GX, but that looks like all the other toyota semi-float designs I've seen and every one I've worked one required a torch, chisel or grinder (or combination there-of) to get the retainer off.

I have never looked at the hundy rears, but it sure looks similar to the GX rear. What does it look like inside the backing plate? Anything like this?
1111181507.jpg

It's pretty similar if not basically the same.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. I was referred to one shop in town that can do the work but not until Monday.

I'm going to double check to see if my breather was clogged. Highly possible. If so I'll clear it and have them button everything up, and monitor for a week or two before digging into that project. Hundy guys say that just clearing a clogged breather can fix a leak from pressure.

If it's already clear, I guess I'll deal with that then...

In our case the seal was fine-ish, the little black ring you see on the retainer is a groove that was letting oil get by. The bearing was likely fine, but getting the retainer off basically destroys the bearing. The seal is a knock-in into the end of the axle tube, so if the retainer is not grooved the seal is pretty straight forward.

The tech was pointing everything out to me this afternoon. More involved than I care to deal with alone, especially if they weren't even able to.

If the truck gets buttoned up and is driving tomorrow before lunch, I'll be up there. If not, then...

Man I just saw this otherwise would love to go. Would love to swing a wrench or two. Sounds like this is a semi regular thing?

Was great seeing everyone today! My 40 ran fine on the way home. Think I'll take the carb apart and clean. I think i have a rebuild kit in my stash!!. I see a new exhaust gasket hanging on the wall in the shop too so I'm all set!

image.jpg

Would anyone be up for pointing and laughing at me while drinking free beer this weekend?

I've got a set of steering rack bushings and front diff bushings to replace. They're bad enough that I'm reluctant to run any more trails before they're done. Air chisel/hammer required, I haven't invested in the air systems yet. More than happy to provide food, beer, and a sense of pride within yourself for being more advanced than I am at very tedious jobs.

I'll even bring my own tools to throw out of the garage when things get exciting.

Diff bushings job:
100 series front diff bushings

This post and the post after it show the rack bushing job:

100 series steering rack bushings

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom