October 2022 Club Run - Anza-Borrego or Miller-Lockwood? Or both? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATES:

1) Anza-Borrego: Is the weekend of October 22-23 better for everyone? I can't make it that weekend, but I might not be able to make the prior week, either, so don't let my schedule influence the decision. Either way, we'll need a volunteer Trail Leader/Run Coordinator.

2) Miller-Lockwood: Is this still something the club would like to do on October 29-30? The Route Fire was south of that area, near Castaic, so I don't think the Gorman/Hungry Valley area was too impacted by that fire (as of today, CalFire shows it 98% contained).
The club day run 10/29 with (optional) camping @ Miller -Lockwood, Is also scheduled . Club member Dat, pre ran The trail's yesterday. At our October meeting 10/2 , We will discuss the Anza Borrego trip details & Dat Will fill us in on the details for the Miller Lockwood trail run . Keep monitoring this thread.

Marc

Keep monitoring this thread

Lockwood Creek - Miller Jeep Trail is located in Mt. Pinos Ranger District within the Los Padres National Forest. There are GATES to the trail and they are closed for winter. As of now they are open but I will check with the Ranger office by next meeting. Lockwood Creek Trail is found west of I-5 taking Exit 205 for Frazier Mountain Park Road then south on Lockwood Valley Rd to the trail head. Lockwood - Miller combines for about 30 miles end-to-end and comes out at Hungry Valley on Exit 195 for Smokey Bear Rd.

The trail starts at about 5200 ft., rises to about 6000 ft., then dips to 4500 ft. at the end of Lockwood Creek section. A good place to stop for lunch and explore some side spurs. Miller Jeep Trail picks up from there and rises steadily to nearly 6700 ft. There are some rocky sections but should be passable. Rated a 3 by Trails Offroad with optional lines at a 5. The rocky sections end at Dutchman Campground. We can camp there for the night. A few trees, pit toilet, and lots of open space. From camp, it's a nice leisure ride to Hungry Valley. Air up, pick up on I-5 for home.

Note: the Route Fire caused some damage to the northbound I-5. Two right lanes are closed but since it's an uphill grade at that point, traffic crawls anyhow.

I'm mindful of the fact that night run is fun but can be frightful for some. Here are my few recommendations:

1. We start mid morning, after 10 am, and should get to Dutchman camp with light to set up. Those wishing for a night run can go back down Miller Jeep Trail then back up. Down hill at night can be a real fright :nailbiting::nailbiting: but for those willing to walk, watching it can be entertaining :popcorn:.

2. We start after 10 am so those who don't wish to do a night run can travel ahead to camp. Those who do can take a leisure approach and burn out daylight ending with a climb to camp in low light or darkness. This will require two trail leaders!

3. Those who want to camp can ride in from Hungry Valley without having to climb the rocky section of Miller Jeep Trail. Those who run the whole trail can start later say after lunch and should find ourselves climbing in low light or darkness. We all meet up at camp. Again, this will require two trail leaders unless those coming from Hungry Valley are comfortable traveling to Dutchman camp.

Last edited:
A few pictures from my Rockwood Miller scout run on Sep-11
Water crossing …
CA6D27F6-4BD2-4D0A-BD11-A880D7CE80F9.jpeg

some rocks as I tailed a few members of the Dirt Devils club…
EDB3FB2D-957E-4A34-B44A-FC2D880970B9.jpeg

to Dutchman camp
5E4850C9-BED9-40CC-9D36-131545C82652.jpeg

The club day run 10/29 with (optional) camping @ Miller -Lockwood, Is also scheduled . Club member Dat, pre ran The trail's yesterday. At our October meeting 10/2 , We will discuss the Anza Borrego trip details & Dat Will fill us in on the details for the Miller Lockwood trail run . Keep monitoring this thread.

Marc

This could be the scene for the club Anza Borrego overlanding trip in October 10/21(optional), 10/22,10/23 date's.

Marc

Hi guys back in town from Oklahoma. As you all ready know I rested my 40
on her side. She going into the shop for an estimate of repair on Monday. If I get her back in time I’ll join the fun, what’s a little more damage in the scheme of things. Any final decision on the run?

Just got back from my trip and was told that my rig won’t be ready this week. Anza-Borrego is definitely out for me. Miller-Lockwood is at risk also if the parts for the bodywork don’t come through. Supply chain issue sucks!

Unfortunately, I’m out for both October runs, due to other scheduling commitments. Has anyone volunteered to coordinate either the Anza-Borrego run or the Miller-Lockwood run?

I'm passing the rest of the year thanks to FJB's gas prices.

I was supposed to lead the Miller-Lockwood run but my rig will be at the shop until early November. I’m happy to organize the run if I can ride with someone.
👍 = me looking to hitch a ride!
I was planning on this trip , Miller Lockwood . I wouldn't mind having somebody write shotgun .
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom