Oct Moab for attendees (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, we need to nail some stuff down. so this thread will be open for posting by anyone that is sure they are going. Pappy has been given full rights to delete posts by people not going. :D

Which type of trip are we doing, expedition style to a trail like Hole in the Rock, or a traditional Moab trip to the local trails.

I think the days have pretty much be settled as 7th or 8th -11th. Who is sure they are going as what day can you start. if we do expedition, we should all start together.

I am going with my family and I am leaning now toward the expedition trip. that's my wife's vote and would be a little something different than we do at CM.

Discuss...:popcorn:

It appears according to the poll that over Memorial day we have 9 people wanting to use Moab as a home base for the weekend and 5 wanting to do an expedition. I certainly would like to do an expedition at some point, but we don't want to do one in the 40. We have a longer term plan for that but the 4Runner won't be ready by then. Also, my brother will be in Moab.

It appears that with 15 people going there will be enough for both Moab and an expedition.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/nm-high-de...olumbus-day-moab-etc-trip-2.html?nojs=1#links

I plan on going and taking Linda. But only if it's not an expedition trip. I want to take my 22 foot travel trailer. I don't need to be in a campground, but I do need a relatively smooth access road.

I made my Slickrock reservations already, for the 7-11th, so I'll be there no matter what.

I say we do both. I just spent 16 days driving and sleeping in the troopy and really want to do another trip. If it's just moab, I may change my plane reservations and head east with the family instead of catching up after moab.

I say we do both.

Please elaborate on how you see this working.

I have scheduled the vacation (Oct 7-11) and I am planning to attend whatever type event we have during those dates.

-Mike-

Last edited:
question is, how many of the original 14 are still going. so far I see 6. I see no problem with 3 on one and 4 or 5 on the other if that is what everyone wants. my vote was originally for Moab, but would now be expedition. that's David, Lynn(just read his ost on the poll thread) and I on expedition, and Kit, Mark, and Steve on Moab(Mike willing to do either and not stating a preference yet). if it's not that important to David (which it seems he really does want to go, but only in expedition style), then I can switch to Moab too to keep the group together, I'm willing to do either.

who else is going?

I am going! I was up for either, but going for a non-expo style for the Columbus day weekend trip. I am going to have to head back home on sunday night, one reason. Second reason Crystal is finishing her Masters program and needs Internet access throught the trip. With that said i would still be up for another trip later on in the fall (expo style)!

question is, how many of the original 14 are still going.

who else is going?

I guess I was one of the 14 that want to go. I have to change those plans to tentative because of some recent things I need to fix around the house, and monies I have spent to help others with thiers. If financially I feel sound, I am in. I voted for the regular Moab trip. I am not set up for expedition yet, but would be willing in the future. Oct is when I get an extra pay check, so I should be able to pull it off. My biggest drawback is that our owner does not get back till next week from surgery. Is he going to be fine to work in a month and a half (I don't know)? I have been taking care of most of his properties since he is out. They are not the funnest of our clients.

White Rim Trail sounds cool by me. I'm cool with just wheeling Moab also. I'll have wife and kids and they have experience doing trails and camping.

G

And to quote Graham from another thread:
"I put in to get the weekend off. I prefer to wheel hard, but I'm up for expedition style too.

The only problem with expedition travel is I get bored. I need a little scraping, the smell of burning rubber, and the risk of damage to keep me going. If I get bored I'll have wished I was watching TV at home. In the words of a college buddy, after 3 days camping and wheeling, who I took out near Ouray, "I'm so sick of pretty, I just wahnt some concrete and a great beg pahking lot." He was from Boston.

I'll throw it out there again, why travel all the way to Moab when you have badass wheeling only 3 hours from ABQ. We got hotels, RV parks, and open camping in the Glade with a permit.

Something to think about if you guys decide to do 2 trips instead of one. Or wheel the expedition style for the first part and end up in Farm for a day of hard wheeling and then head home.

TR"

We go to moab every year and run the same trails. They aren't much different just because there are fewer people. I agree though that long pretty drives get boring, so we need something with occasional challenge. I've never done anything but Moab in southern Utah, so I'm not very knowledgeable on what's out there.

And to quote David

And to quote Graham from another thread:

We go to moab every year and run the same trails. They aren't much different just because there are fewer people. I agree though that long pretty drives get boring, so we need something with occasional challenge. I've never done anything but Moab in southern Utah, so I'm not very knowledgeable on what's out there.

I have seen no mention of this before, so I will be the wuss that says it first. Even though there are quite a few here that have been on these trails quite a bit and find them easy, there are some new to the sport/hobby that are intimidated by certain aspects of what we do. My first time to Maob, I freaked out, but I learned how to handle some of the trails with some good spots. Over the next year, some have seen me take some lines that other veterans would not take. I had confidence at that point, but maybe too much, I have tried some obstacles with no spot and it shook me up. I know that I should have asked for a spot, but everyone else was to far ahead or behind, so I tried to run it myself, but no. Long story, short, as a group, everyone should be thought of to what are the plans are. Two groups or what? Either way, everyone should have fun while out there.

absolutely Rudy. that will be part of the trail selection part of this discussion.

Going

We are going. Myself , wifey and kids. I'll be staying in a campground and looking to do some local trails. First timer at Moab so I'll be looking to explore the local trails.

so I looks like plenty of people that will go to Moab for a traditional trip. that part is set. discussion on trails to run can begin...

who wants to do an expedition style besides me and 2manycruisers? we should have rigs enough to do both. Graham? Ali?

edit: I am begining a small build for a nosebox on my off road trailer for this trip. although Jill has now been spoiled by the camper and is hesitating on going back to the tent.:rolleyes:

Shawn, what are your thoughts on expedition--where, when, for how long? Seemed no one else was going, I've been considering bailing and joining the rest of my family for the whole week back east. But if you are up for it, let's figure out a good trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom