OC/LA/IE Meet and Greet - May 3rd (3 Viewers)

Where should we eat?

• 1) BBQ at O'Neill Park.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • 2) Beer and burgers at Cook's Corner

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 3) Margaritas and tacos at Rose Cantina

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No worries.

Not really planning wheeling a whole lot myself. May even bring the trailer. If we do the BBQ at the park thing, i'll bring the trailer for sure. Im game for relaxing at the park and hanging out.

The BBQ sounds so relaxing. You should bring the trailer unless your gonna hike to the falls. Parking is really limited and tight up there.

Im just thinking because i know around Cinco De Mayo.... the parks fill like mad. I've seen Irvine park full. Im wondering if everyone is going to the parks the weekend before or after? yikes. We might want to think about that.... cause with all the rigs we won't even get a parking spot.

I'd certainly think for day spots that O'neil will fill VERY quickly - if there are 10-20 of us showing up with rigs, I doubt we'd be able to park them together unless we just reserved a group campground for the day/night.

That's a really good question. I really don't want to stress about it but I would imagine the answer is yes. I'll call the park and see if they can give us some insight.

Im just thinking because i know around Cinco De Mayo.... the parks fill like mad. I've seen Irvine park full. Im wondering if everyone is going to the parks the weekend before or after? yikes. We might want to think about that.... cause with all the rigs we won't even get a parking spot.

Well this is a very self sufficient group and propane bbq's are allowed in Cleveland National Forest outside of developed area's with the proper permit. There are several large areas we could just set up impromptu and if we get kicked out, oh well off we go to Rose's or Cooks.

I'd certainly think for day spots that O'neil will fill VERY quickly - if there are 10-20 of us showing up with rigs, I doubt we'd be able to park them together unless we just reserved a group campground for the day/night.

The dirt parking lot in O'Neill is really big but who knows.

Last edited:
Seems like the BBQ idea is ahead in the poll but that park may be full. We could head up Silverado Cyn toward Main Divide Rd. I think I remember a fairly large flat spot up there off the trail out of Silverado Cyn - maybe it's at the junction with Main Divide Rd? Anybody have any memory of such a place?

If there is a place like that, we could do a little trail run and hang out at that flat spot...

Yeah if you head up to Main Divide, there's a junction up there with plenty of room. It's about 45 mins up. I remember it. It's like at the last major u-turn switch back through the trees, then it's on your right.

I'd love to make this. I've only done one 'run' this season and that was to Corral Cyn. I haven't even been up to Sheep Cyn this year! It's been a sucky season.

From Cooks Corner to the Top of Main divide is longer than 45 minutes.

Don't you have to go back to the end of Silverado Canyon, through the forestry gate and up to the top? Or is there another way up?

I don't have an 80, but I'd love to join you guys in the BIG COUSIN of the 80 known as THE EXCURSION!!

From Cooks Corner to the Top of Main divide is longer than 45 minutes.

Don't you have to go back to the end of Silverado Canyon, through the forestry gate and up to the top? Or is there another way up?

I don't have an 80, but I'd love to join you guys in the BIG COUSIN of the 80 known as THE EXCURSION!!

You're correct. It doesn't make sense to run Trabuco/Holy Jim if we were to BBQ at Main Divide.

So I called the ranger at O'Neill today. We can reserve one of four day use picnic areas for $87.00 plus $5.00 entry per vehicle. If we we have 10 vehicles that is $8.70 plus $5.00 for a total $13.70 per vehicle. Obviously this price drops for each additional vehicle. So far we have 9 responses on the poll .

I also called the Silverado Fire Department. The gate is open and the fire danger is still rated low. The rules are ambiguous but I think we could get away with using a few small weber propane BBQ's. We'll make sure any BBQ's have a fire extinguishers.

To be clear Silverado Canyon to Main Divide is a quite a haul from where we are meeting in Trabuco Canyon.

Based on those prices, plus buying our own food, I'd rather to the cantina or Cooks and keep it simple.

This is getting too complicated with too many options flying around.

Hey Jon. What are you doing patrolling where the "little" vehicles hang out? :)

I sure wouldn't mind if you came along. It would be cool to have a :beer: and catch up.

Based on those prices, plus buying our own food, I'd rather to the cantina or Cooks and keep it simple.

This is getting too complicated with too many options flying around.

Hey thanks. I do some ground work and now it's too complicated? I'll let you guys figure it out, sometimes no plan is the best plan.

Correct, 45 mins from the gate up the mtn. That's what i was referring to.

John, what are you doing in the 80 section? lol

Im down for anything.

Me too.

Hey Jon. What are you doing patrolling where the "little" vehicles hang out? :)

I sure wouldn't mind if you came along. It would be cool to have a :beer: and catch up.

Correct, 45 mins from the gate up the mtn. That's what i was referring to.

John, what are you doing in the 80 section? lol

Im down for anything.

Us Ford guys get confused sometimes!!! Hope to see you both soon!

I personally like margaritas and tacos at the Cantina - but thtat's just me.

Hey thanks. I do some ground work and now it's too complicated? I'll let you guys figure it out, sometimes no plan is the best plan.

I'm sorry Scott, I didn't mean to rain on all your work. It's just that we now have at least 4 or 5 options floating around:

1. Holy Jim run and lunch at Cooks Corner
2. Holy Jim run and lunch at Rose Cantina
3. Holy Jim run and bbq at O'neil
4. Partial run on Santiago and bbq somewhere on the mountain.
5. BBQ at O'neil and run up Santiago?

Have I missed any?

I've stayed up on this thread and I have no idea what we're doing or that a decision has been made at all.

I'm only suggesting that we KISS - keep it simple stupid. :D ...and no, I'm not hitting on you. There isn't enough alcohol in the world for that. :flipoff2:

We need to be cognizant of the fact that most folks showing up have no flipping idea what/where we are talking about outside of the excellent google maps you've posted. This is in yours, mine,Mo's and Dave's backyard, so we do know. The rest don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom