OBX Hatteras Island Campground Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to plan an OBX trip and was wondering, since most of you just did the Spring Tide Ride, what campgrounds (either Nat'l Park Svc or private) would you recommend on Hatteras?

We're taking 3 boys ages 9 & 10 and plan to tent camp for 5 days. Mostly will spend time surf fishing, sound fishing, pier fishing, and crabbing. Being boys they will want to play in the surf too. Perhaps a run to Kitty Hawk for hang gliding. Would rather not have to break camp and re-set up so just one campground for 5 days is preferred. Since we're on Hatteras this time (vs. roughing it on Cape Lookout like last year), a few amenities like nice bathroom facilities, not next to a mosquito infested swamp, etc. would be nice.

We're taking my '79 FJ40 and a buddy's '61 Land Rover 109", so we can drive on the beach, etc. Any current beach ramp access recommendations would be great too.

So, which campground would you recommend and why?

Thanks,
Drew

Hey Al,

Is this where you guys stayed on Spring Tide Ride? I've heard of this place and I know I've driven by it...just never been inside to check it out. Seems like reviews on the internet are mixed...either people are really positive about FW (i.e., good views, great beach & sound access) or are really negative about FW (i.e., parties all night, dirty bathrooms, rude staff).

Also, what's your take on setting up your tent and camping equipment here and then going to the beach or somewhere else? Will it sprout legs while you are gone and walk off?

Thanks!
Drew

Hey Al,

Is this where you guys stayed on Spring Tide Ride? I've heard of this place and I know I've driven by it...just never been inside to check it out. Seems like reviews on the internet are mixed...either people are really positive about FW (i.e., good views, great beach & sound access) or are really negative about FW (i.e., parties all night, dirty bathrooms, rude staff).

Also, what's your take on setting up your tent and camping equipment here and then going to the beach or somewhere else? Will it sprout legs while you are gone and walk off?

Thanks!
Drew

Drew,
Talk with Kathy and tell her you're a member of ONSC and she may hook you up. Internet reviews are a little interesting, if you do the legwork you'll find a whole soap opera plays out. Frisco Woods is a great place (I just think they take it for granted) with clean bathrooms and great sites. Had no problems leaving our stuff out.

Remember the stricter driving limits go into effect tomorrow 01MAY2010 and go until November 15. Google Earth is how the NPS updates everyone on the latest ramp closures. South of Hatteras Village is closed (the whole point) Cape Point is still open along with ramp 55 and 49. 43, 44, and 45 are open, but not far. Everything in front of Buxton is closed, but ramp 38 north is mostly open. You'll just have to check the map. They change every Thursday from what the website states.

Thanks guys for the recommendation to stay at Frisco Woods. We stayed there 5 nights and couldn't have asked for a better campground. Will definitely stay there again!

IMG_0615.JPG

Now if the weather would have cooperated the whole time (it rained for 2 days), if the fish would have been biting (no one was catching anything it seemed), and if I hadn't wrecked my FJ40 (could have been MUCH worse) the trip would have been awesome...

Ouch...
IMG00112-20100516-0856.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom