OBDII Scanner recomendations please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Well today I've finally joined the ranks of have a check engine light. Just installed a Borla exhaust and the truck is coming up on a majhor tune up as well. From reading some of your posts I think some have a scanner or use one. I'm hoping for something reasonably priced nothing fancy hust down and dirty to give me the code and what ever else is pertinent to identifying the problem area. Of course if there is something much better at a reasonable price I'm up for that as well.

Thanks for any help.

DITTO

My C.E. light came on this weekend as well.

You can go to a local Autozone and they will read it for free.

You can pick up an AutoXray www.autoxray.com

Reasonably priced, can also use on other vehicles when you purchase different cables. It reads all kinds of stuff on ODB-II, including codes, you can reset your CE fault, you can capture what the ECU is seeing over an amount of time. It has helped me many times.

Landtank, you probably have set the same code I have, either (I can't recall 402 or 420) it indicates that the O2 sensors aren't jiving anymore and it thinks it is not being efficent in burning fuel. My GUESS as that is what I have also set after changing out the OEM exhaust.

Yomama

Check out the search for a similar thread not too long ago. WOW cable service is being really slow or I'd go grab the link. It had a lot of really good info. I use a Snap On MT2500, but it's probably a lot more than you need.

Jon, Do you own those Ducks or just like the numbers?

[quote author=Jon916996748 link=board=2;threadid=4416;start=msg33042#msg33042 date=1061256233]
*sigh* im thankful for one thing, the check engine light has never come on in my 80. :D
[/quote]

And now you're screwed. Soon enough...soon enough... :D

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=4416;start=msg33034#msg33034 date=1061252604]
You can go to a local Autozone and they will read it for free.
[/quote]

I thought someone said that they stopped that. There is one not far from here, I'll check them out.

>> You can go to a local Autozone and they will read it for free.
>> I thought someone said that they stopped that. There is one not far from here, I'll check them out.

In California, the auto repair police busted Autozone for various improprieties regarding diagnosing problems and selling unnecessary parts... so they no longer will dump OBD codes. I don't think this effects other states though.

>> I have the OTC Mindreader and it's pretty frickin cool.

Yep, and "pretty frickin" $$$. But it's a good one.

I have used the Equus 3100 (Innova)... it's a "reader" as opposed to a "scanner," considerably less expensive, and it reads both the Federal OBD codes as well as the the vehicle specific proprietary codes. Not too bad for an (comparatively) inexpensive reader ($125 ish).

R -

[quote author=ParadiseCruiser link=board=2;threadid=4416;start=msg33745#msg33745 date=1061480923]
>> I have the OTC Mindreader and it's pretty frickin cool.

Yep, and "pretty frickin" $$$. But it's a good one.

[/quote]

Nope - $100 :flipoff2: - just gotta find the right deal. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom