OBD1 Scangauge Mastertech mts3100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been researching this for awhile now. I have did many searches on mud to see if anyone else had information and no one has posted this so I wanted to start a thread on how you CAN get signal information from toyota obd1. First off, obd1 does not have a data stream so you can not get as much information - and even less feeback, but you can get quite a bit of info. I took me a year of searching ebay for a decent price (they are pricey) for the tools but I finally got them. The processor is Very hard to find- I have only seen 3, but they can be in good condition because they were seldom used.
The scanner itself is a Mastertech MTS3100.
2016-04-04 09.14.12.jpg

I am still learning all the basic functions.
This unit by itself,program card and cables can pull codes and monitor your o2 , and rpm. It also performs a test but I haven't ran it yet because you have to drive the vehicle...still I think it might only give codes.
2016-04-04 12.30.18.jpg

I am going to sign off now but will post the rest of the info next post.

Last edited:
The MTS 3100 by itself only gives you the fault codes, so just use the paperclip to get your codes. It does give you a nice waveform of your o2 sensors but that is about it. I knew there had to be a way to tap into the sensor information- besides just using the multimeter. I found this in the FSM and that's when I began searching for it.
2016-04-05 10.01.05.jpg

It's called the toyota break out box, or the toyota intelligent signal processor. You connect it to the ecm and the signal processor converts it to a data stream via a ethernet cable. This processor comes with many different break out boxes so it works on probably all the toyota obd 1 but I would need to input the year and make to see if it's supported. When you start the scanner up, and input the vehicle, the scanner tells you which break out boxes to use. Here is the signal processor.
2016-04-02 20.51.10.jpg

It's very easy to hook up, takes maybe 20 minutes. I currently have it installed so that I can read the info while driving. The scanner has many functions such as an oscilloscope, waveforms etc but I'm still playing around with it to learn how to use it.
The srandard diagnostic screen displays several sensors on two different pages, you can also change the outputs to on/off or voltage readings.
2016-04-02 20.52.45.jpg

Primary screen data.
2016-04-02 21.01.49.jpg

2016-04-02 20.58.38.jpg

Thsee are the primary data screens, I will update the custom screens in the next post. Bear with me I'm doing all this from my phone.

Here is the custom screen display, here I can choose which parameters I want to display.
2016-04-02 20.42.38.jpg

There are a few more signals on the next page but I didn't take a picture. It pretty much will display all the signals from or to the ecu. To see what they are measuring I just pulled up the fsm page...
2016-04-05 10.07.24.jpg

Here are a few custom screens...
2016-04-04 09.16.42.jpg
2016-04-05 09.54.42.jpg

These show coolant temp,intake air temp,egr temp,throttle angle,fuel psi regulator vsv position, fuel pump signal, egr on/off, knock sensors, speed, air intake signal, pair vsv, igniter duration... etc. Currently I have code 71 egr malfunction. .. I can see from the temps that it is not being commanded open... something I'll have to look into. This is all real time, the voltages change, switch positions change etc.
That about sums up what I have now. I'll be playing with it over the next few weeks and post more info as I learn it. Let me know if you all have any questions or need to see what it's capabilities are.

I am subscribing to this thread. I have a 97 Cruiser from Mexico that still has OBD1. Would have loved to be able to monitor the engine while driving like the vehicles with OBD2. Glad to see thart there is hope on the horizon.

Came here not expecting much.

Was VERY impressed, instead.

And bravo for the real tech..

Wow.. there are two of these MTS units on eBay now, for $800-$900...

I think I'll just stick with my paperclip for now!

But... subscribed.

Sub'ed for the great tech!

I've intentionally avoided OBD1 since it was a weird transition from basic fuel injector cars to OBD2 scanner/readers.

I'd heard of these tools, but never all condensed to a single thread - great work!

This one on Amazon, is only $151. The same device is about $200 on eBay or more, and might even be the prior version, because the pics do not look like color screen.

Amazon.com: Innova 3120e Code Reader / Scan Tool with ABS for OBD2 Vehicles with OBD1 Coverage: Automotive
51y30SPXHTL.jpg

There are other, cheaper.. OBD2 scanners that will read Asian vehicles or Toyotas, but OBD 2. I was wondering what info these would read if we used this $8 , 22-pin OBD1 to 16-pin OBD2 connector cable?

Amazon.com: e-Joy® Connector Diagnostic Adapter 22 Pin Male to OBD 16 Pin Female for Toyota (Black): Home Audio & Theater
31aYyXhanNL.jpg

22obd1_16obd2.jpg

innovaOBD1OBD2.jpg

I am subscribing to this thread.

This is really great work what you have done.
The only problem involved here is the high cost of the tools.

BTW I have checked the Innova 3120 different versions manuals but non of them has listed the Land Cruiser FZJ80 under their Toyota category.

My problem here is quite different from you guys since I have the 1FZ-FE engine installed on my fj40, thus I have no way to see Check Engine Light (CEL) since i have no FZJ80 cluster.

However, I think there is still little hope. Through searching the web. I have found a guy who sell OBD1 reader (data logger) and price is not expensive at all. Just I need to contact this guy to confirm if it works with the FZJ80 or not but theoretically it should.

Here are the links for what I am talking about:

ZF-ScanTools

ZF

ok, the land cruiser is on the list,,

For use with the TOYOBD1 application on TOYOTA & LEXUS OBD1 cars.
http://jfbreton.blogspot.ca/2014/02/toyobd1-android-datalogger-what-engines.html
  • USDM 3VZ-FE
  • JDM 1992+ 4E-FTE EP82
  • JDM 4A-GE AE111(blacktop)
  • JDM 2JZ-GTE JZA80
  • USDM 1994 2JZ-GE JZA80
  • USDM 2JZ-GTE JZA80
  • JDM 1JZ-GTE JZZ30,JZX90
  • JDM 1JZ-GTE VVT-i JX100 1998 and earlier ONLY
  • JDM 1992-1993 3S-GTE
  • USDM 1992-1993 celica 5S-FE
  • 1994-1995 CELICA 5S-FE
  • USDM 1UZ-FE SC400 and LS400
  • JDM 3S-GTE ST205 WRC
  • USDM 4A-FE 1993
  • 1992+ 3VZ-E Pickup and 4Runner
  • USDM 22R-E 94-95
  • JDM 4A-GE AE101(silvertop)
  • 1992-1993 REV2 3S-GE (SW20) 89661-17370
  • ST202 3S-GE
  • SW20 1992+ 3S-GTE
  • EE101 4E-FE
  • EP91 4E-FE
  • EP91 4E-FTE
  • USDM 7A-FE 1993
  • JZA70 1JZ-GTE
  • JDM 2TZ-FE 1994 and above
  • JDM 5E-FHE EL54 (2nd generation)
  • Land Cruiser 1FZ-FE(more details to come about supported years)
  • 88-92 Cressida A/T 7M-GE
  • 88-91 2VZ-FE 89661-32590 ES250 and 2.5 V6 camry
  • european diesel 2C-E corolla
  • 1995 1KZ-TE Diesel Land Cruiser (Africa)
  • late 2TZ-FE (map sensor system)
  • 5E-FE GEN2 PASEO UK 89661-16490

I just connected on the ZF units to my 94, it works!!!. I got the model with the connector. I downloaded the ZF app on my phone and I able to connect via bluetooth with the hood closed and driving. I don't really understand the information its giving me about the o2 sensors at this point, I have some research to do.

Hello All, just got back into the forum. Wanted to update this, I am getting ready to sell this unit as an assembly. I no longer have my 94 so I no longer will be using this.
I plan on selling it soon on ebay- and I'll list it here in the classified soon. All I need to do is find the time. This tool would be a great addition to any shop that works on land cruisers. Real -time data stream from obd1== everything from the ecu and to the ecu.

Anyone have a ZF scanner on hand they'd like to sell? Would like to get one for my 93 FZJ80 (after a month of electrical diagnostic). Just found out about it via this thread and it would save soo much time in the future versus metering everything chasing OBD1 codes. Course the ZF website seems to be shut down

Anyone have a ZF scanner on hand they'd like to sell? Would like to get one for my 93 FZJ80 (after a month of electrical diagnostic). Just found out about it via this thread and it would save soo much time in the future versus metering everything chasing OBD1 codes. Course the ZF website seems to be shut down

JF stopped making them, he made them in his garage as a hobby for Toyota fans, i got 3 units. one is connected constantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom