OBD scanner recommendation for 2008 LX570? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the forum to see if any answers are already out there, but the last discussion was at least one year ago, so I thought to ask again. What are the OBD scanners that are trusted among LX570 users? I have iPhone 6s Plus and original iPad Pro, both quite old but the iPad still runs the latest iOS. I don't have an Android device.

I knew I should buy one soon but the trigger to this post was "Check VSC System" with flashing 4LO and slip lights and steady engine sign in the dash. This showed up in the middle of driving on highway. I already checked the gas tank lid and reseated to hear a click. The message and lights did not go away after driving for a little while. Should I remove the EFI fuse for 10 seconds?

About four days prior to this, I had to use 4LO and center diff lock. Switching the modes was a bit slow and sluggish. I also noticed that lingering flashing center diff lock lights, after disengaging it, which only went away by stopping the engine and re-start the vehicle. That light never returned since then. So the previous owners of this vehicle did not seem to have used the 4WD features very much (I bought it in March).

Although my main question is about OBD scanner recommendation, but inputs on the broader context is also appreciated.

I use BlueDriver. It’s pretty awesome. Has a great app. I would like to check out the Carista merely for the ability to change a few LC settings.

BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android https://a.co/d/hFZxgH0

Blue driver is great, but at least in the past couldn’t do TPMS programming. Carista is affordable and surprisingly comprehensive, if a bit slow.

A computer with a bootleg techstream copy with a vcx nano adapter is far and away the most powerful option though.

I second the blue driver. Have also used Carista on other cars to change features.

I engaged 4lo / center diff s while ago on my 08LC, as I don’t use them much. I got error codes as well. They went away after a bit.

But get a code reader to diagnose. Best tool to have.

Blue driver is great, but at least in the past couldn’t do TPMS programming. Carista is affordable and surprisingly comprehensive, if a bit slow.

I second the blue driver. Have also used Carista on other cars to change features.

I engaged 4lo / center diff s while ago on my 08LC, as I don’t use them much. I got error codes as well. They went away after a bit.
I use BlueDriver. It’s pretty awesome. Has a great app. I would like to check out the Carista merely for the ability to change a few LC settings.

Thanks all responders.

Followup question
I understand 2008 LX has a number of features that can be turned on/off via OBD, like smart key, etc. Are these controls not available via BlueDriver but they are via Carista?

I was looking at BlueDriver. Many people seem to recommend it in general, but I was concerned specifically among LC/LX users and also iOS users. It seems good now. But Carista is the way to go for LC/LX-specific controls, I might think a bit more. Also, I'll continue to drive a bit more until the OBD scanner arrives, to see if the warning goes away.

I just went through this decision myself and I ended up going with the OBDLinkMX+

I really considered the Carista but went with OBDLink because it seems to be the fastest scanner for real-time readings, supports most OEM specific PIDs with no extra cost or subscription which means that I was able to get free download packs for all of our vehicles, and it has battery protection/sleep mode built in. Others may have this last one but the OBDLink is the only one I saw that I could confirm had this. For me this is big because I'd like to leave it plugged in on trips and not worry about it.

It can write some things like with the obdlink app, but I found out it can also write TPMS and other things with the Carista app.

The obdlink app is really just a custom version of OBDFusion so all of the fusion dashboards you can find floating around on mud work perfectly.

With the free Toyota/Lexus pack, it provides every AHC specific PID that you may want. This could be true for Carista as well though.

I will say that it has worked seamlessly with everything I've plugged it into so far and it takes about 15 seconds from plugin to reading values, and the values are as near real-time as I was able to discern.

It is much more expensive though.

With the free Toyota/Lexus pack, it provides every AHC specific PID that you may want. This could be true for Carista as well though.

IMO this is a core function and really makes the case for an adapter like you got. Good to know.

I bought OBDLink MX+ and looked at the code. It was P0101 mass air flow circuit range/performance problem and C1201.

Is P0101 a common code to see when the fuel cap is loose? I'll see if the error returns after reset.

Or should I be prepared to replace MAF sensor or PCV valve? During the trip that the error occurred, I was getting about 18.5 miles per gallon fuel efficiency on highways (driving at no more than 10 mph above the speed limits) and mostly using cruise control. I did not feel any engine issue while driving. So I'm not sure if it's PCV. Maybe erratic MAF sensor?

Just to confirm. Carista dongle can also be used with OBD fusion and can report on ahc and other ECUs. Also, I leave my Carista dongle plugged in full time. I’ve been running that way for over 2 years with no issues.

id be interested to know if the mx was actually faster than the standard dongles.

Just to confirm. Carista dongle can also be used with OBD fusion and can report on ahc and other ECUs. Also, I leave my Carista dongle plugged in full time. I’ve been running that way for over 2 years with no issues.

id be interested to know if the mx was actually faster than the standard dongles.

That is good to know. The carista website was a little light on specifics about the reader. It wasn’t clear that it had low voltage protection or sleep mode, and while I knew from others that it could be used with some third party apps, there is no confirmation on that.

I should also say that the way my post was worded might sound like I was implying that other readers couldn’t read all the AHC values. I apologize if that’s the case.

Some readers are limited to their proprietary apps, but some work with other apps like Obdfusion just fine. And if you can use Obdfusion, you can get the expanded Lexus PID packs.

What I was trying to say is that the obdmx reader comes with a version of obdfusion where all of the vehicle packs are included as well as lifetime updates without a subscription or extra costs.

It is more expensive up front and it might not be worth it just for access to the packs if all you need is the extra toy/Lexus data.

For anybody else shopping, it is definitely worth confirming if a reader you are looking at is compatible with third party apps. Some are specific to the vendor. This may also be fine for most purposes, but worth thinking about.

As far as speed, it is very fast to connect and start reading, but I don’t know if it is faster than others. I know that the live data is much faster than bluedriver and innova but those are the only other scanners I have access to so couldn’t comment on any others.

I searched the forum to see if any answers are already out there, but the last discussion was at least one year ago, so I thought to ask again. What are the OBD scanners that are trusted among LX570 users? I have iPhone 6s Plus and original iPad Pro, both quite old but the iPad still runs the latest iOS. I don't have an Android device.

I knew I should buy one soon but the trigger to this post was "Check VSC System" with flashing 4LO and slip lights and steady engine sign in the dash. This showed up in the middle of driving on highway. I already checked the gas tank lid and reseated to hear a click. The message and lights did not go away after driving for a little while. Should I remove the EFI fuse for 10 seconds?

About four days prior to this, I had to use 4LO and center diff lock. Switching the modes was a bit slow and sluggish. I also noticed that lingering flashing center diff lock lights, after disengaging it, which only went away by stopping the engine and re-start the vehicle. That light never returned since then. So the previous owners of this vehicle did not seem to have used the 4WD features very much (I bought it in March).

Although my main question is about OBD scanner recommendation, but inputs on the broader context is also appreciated.
I've seen the same 4LO and Slip lights. I'll keep an eye on this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom