1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

obd II scanner

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by mustardfj40, Feb 2, 2004.

1. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

On the way back from a ski trip, my '98 UZJ100 celebrates the 95,000 miles milestone with a engine check light. So what obd2 scanner do you guys got? Like it? Not too expensive?

Thanks.

/td

2. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

There has been a lot of discussion on this very subject within the past week or so........ there is a big difference, both functionally and financially, between a code reader and a scanner. Readers are relatively cheap, as low as $39.99 and up, and scanners usually start at over a $100 and go very high. If all you want to do is read and erase codes, then I recommend the Harbor Freight Coder Reader for $39.99 online........ it'll only do those two functions, read and erase. Scanners are much more sophisticated and a number of them interface with your computer.... much more technical.

Wayne S :cheers:

3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

Ok, to give you guys some updated, the Actron scanner is priced at at 150 bucks at Autozone but Sears also has it, The Actron is somewhat limited in what it can do, I think nicer shade-tree grade units are the one that you can run on your laptop and can pull up manufacture specific codes, they're a bit more expensive.

The cruiser got code P0135 which according to the FSM is the heater failure in the Oxygen sensor that locates in bank1 sensor 1. I think this is an easy fix...

Thanks for the pointer to the archives.

/td

4. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

I think there might be someothing programed for that default at 95k as I had that same thing happen to me. I think it might be more of a "check the O2 Sensor" signal....

5. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

Ok, tested the old Air/Fuel sensor as mentioned in the FSM, well no resistance. Installed new one (costed 95 bucks after discount), and erased the code. Started it up and no more engine check light, saved 200 bucks of labor so the I got to keep ODBII scanner ;)

Thanks guys!!!

/td

6. Junk

Junk

[quote author=mustardfj40 link=board=2;threadid=10918;start=msg101047#msg101047 date=1076188732]
    I got to keep ODBII scanner ;)[/quote]

That's cool. Just FYI, if you searched the archives, you'd find a ton of recommendations on these with some being extremely helpfull. Then again, it does take the time to click a button. :D

7. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC