O2 sensors in pair read location on 93-94 cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few years ago I removed my EGR valve and the Pair reed setup and installed new O2 sensors in the location the pair reed used to be located and then capped off the original location of the O2 sensors.. Everything has run perfectly and I have not had any issues with this. I came across a FB post on the TLCA page where a member was stating this was not a good thing to do. At the time I did this mod the general consensus on this forum was that it was just fine to do.. I have a 93 so I have no downstream sensors. The TLCA poster's concern was that the ECU is looking for a reading at a specific location in the exhaust stream and by moving these closer could throw the ECU off.. Also by having them closer the O2 sensors are being pelted by soot thus decreasing the life span of the O2 sensor. I guess I am wondering if really moving the O2 sensors from their original location upstream in the exhaust only about a foot difference can cause ECU reading issues and premature O2 failures.. If so I may think about moving them back to the original location. What do you all think about this?
Thanks!

A few years ago I removed my EGR valve and the Pair reed setup and installed new O2 sensors in the location the pair reed used to be located and then capped off the original location of the O2 sensors.. Everything has run perfectly and I have not had any issues with this. I came across a FB post on the TLCA page where a member was stating this was not a good thing to do. At the time I did this mod the general consensus on this forum was that it was just fine to do.. I have a 93 so I have no downstream sensors. The TLCA poster's concern was that the ECU is looking for a reading at a specific location in the exhaust stream and by moving these closer could throw the ECU off.. Also by having them closer the O2 sensors are being pelted by soot thus decreasing the life span of the O2 sensor. I guess I am wondering if really moving the O2 sensors from their original location upstream in the exhaust only about a foot difference can cause ECU reading issues and premature O2 failures.. If so I may think about moving them back to the original location. What do you all think about this?
Thanks!

Pish posh. How much cleaner can the air be a foot down the Y-pipe? I too have been running them like that for 3-4 years. HuddExpo EGR mod. These are also OBD1 trucks, so it's not like it's the Land Cruiser version of KITT. Maybe they'll have a shortened life span, but buying two O2 sensors after doing all the "while you're in there" items for a head gasket job is like worrying over the cost of a hospital meal during open heart surgery.

Also by having them closer the O2 sensors are being pelted by soot thus decreasing the life span of the O2 sensor.
By moving the O2 sensors closer to the exhaust ports on the head as you have done, the O2 sensors will be exposed to a slightly higher exhaust gas velocity, plus run a little hotter temp wise. This should burn off any soot deposits that might accumulate on them quicker, thereby keeping them cleaner. By doing so, this should extend their life, not shorten it.

As for your question as to whether or not you should move the O2 sensors back to their stock location because some guy in a chat room said to. I kind of look at it like this, you've been running them in their current location for a few years now without ANY ISSUES. So i think you already have the answer to your question, don't you?

Yet another reason to not have Facebook. I don't want somebody telling me it's a bad idea to make toast in the bathtub.

This reminds me of the 4 cylinder 1995 Camry I bought new. The O2 sensor was in the manifold quite close to the head. The sensors in my 80 were moved to the manifold nearly two years ago with no issues so far.

This way, he comes to THIS forum where a DIFFERENT random guy tells him it's fine and we should all fill our tires with liquid for better traction off road.

Just yankin' your chain........

I'd believe Rifleman. It sounds convincing with better sorta factoids.

Thanks guys.. I just take this as a learning experience.. If ya don't ask ya don't learn. I really posted this because the guy was not just some guy he is a fairly well-known mechanic in the Land Cruiser world.. So I trust his opinion.. But wanted to get more opinions from other knowledgeable people out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom